This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Dictionary of Vexillology: A (Alfaquaquus - American War Mothers Flag)
Last modified: 2022-04-02 by rob raeside
Keywords: vexillological terms |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
On this page:
- The medieval term, now obsolete, for a person who is entitled to carry his
banner erect on the King’s highway.
Please note that this word is recorded as having a Spanish origin (which
remains unproven) however, the extent to which it was used in English medieval
manuscripts is not known.
- ALFERES (or ALFEROUS)
- Late 17th early 18th Century terms, now obsolete, for a
Alferous/Standard Bearers C17th (Wikipedia)
a) It is suggested that the alternative form was sometimes used in
b) There is a possible relationship between this term and the
Spanish military rank of alférez or ensign (see also
- In heraldry see ‘flamant’.
Arms and Flag of Torres Vedras, Portugal
- ALLEGORY (or ALLEGORICAL)
- The terms covering a pictorial illustration with a symbolic meaning, and
whose imagery is usually intended to convey a moral and/or political message - see
Flag of the State of Virginia,
Jack of the Batavian Republic 1797, The Netherlands (fotw);
Flag of Richmond 1914 – 1933, US (fotw)
- ALL-SEEING EYE OF GOD
- See ‘Eye of God’.
Flag and Arms of Goppisberg Switzerland (fotw &
- ALLUSIVE ARMS
- An alternative heraldic term to canting - see ‘canting’.
Arms and Flag of Magdeburg (or Maiden-Town), Germany (fotw)
- A medieval term, now obsolete, for the upper part of the cart upon which the
standard was placed (see also ‘carrocium’,
- ALTERNATIVE FLAG/ENSIGN (or ALTERNATE FLAG/ENSIGN)
- The terms used to describe any flag or ensign (either official or unofficial) being presented
as an alternative to that which is generally accepted (or officially established) for a particular role.
National Flag/Civil Ensign as regulated, and Alternative Civil Ensign of the
United Arab Emirates
- AMALGAM (or AMALGAM LANGUAGE) FLAGS
- See ‘linguistic flags’
(also ‘combined flag’).
Amalgam Language Flags for English and German (CS)
- In heraldry see ‘shades of tincture’.
- AMBASSADOR'S (or AMBASSADORIAL) FLAG
- See ‘diplomatic flags’.
Ambassador's flags: Sierra Leone,
Italy 1918 and Finland 1919 - 1920 (fotw)
- AMERICAN WAR MOTHERS FLAG
- See ‘service flag 3)’.
American War Mothers/Armistice Day Flag,
Introduction | Table of Contents |
Index of Terms | Previous Page | Next Page