Last modified: 2017-02-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: trogir |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Trogir - Image by Željko Heimer, 5 September 2013
The Town of Trogir (12,995 inhabitants in 2001, 10,907 in the town of Trogir) is located some 25 km west of Split, on the opposite end of the Kaštela Bay. The central part of the island is administratively part of Trogir, while its western part belongs to the Town of Split and its eastern part forms the municipality of Okrug. The territory of Trogir also encompasses the Split Airport and the Divulje Air Force Base.
The town was established as the Greek colony of Tragurion in 385 BC,
being known during the Roman period as Tragurium. Subsequently, it was under the Byzantine and the Croatian rules, and, in 1000, under the Venetian rule for a century, as Trau. Later on, the island recognized the Croatian-Hungarian kings and even Bosnian kings at some point, to be ruled by Venetia again from the 15th century to the end of the 18th century. After a brief Austrian and then French rule in the Napoleonic period, it was ruled by Austria(-Hungary) since 1814, then having common destiny with other Croatian territories.
The Cathedral of Trogir, especially its portal made by Majstor Radovan, is a masterpiece of Romanesque-Gothic period in Croatia. The town claims to have had the first public pharmacy in Europe (1271).
Today the main industry in Trogir is tourism. The old town is registered on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Željko Heimer, 4 January 2011
The symbols of Trogir are prescribed by Decisions Odluka o grbu i zastavi Grada Trogira, adopted in 1996 and 1998, respectively, and published in the Town official gazette Službeni glasnik Grada Trogira, No. 2. It is not clear whether the current symbols were adopted with the 1996 Decision, which was only slightly amended
in 1998, or if the 1998 amendments were more substantial.
The symbols are described in the Town Statutes Statut Grada Trogira, adopted on 15 July 2009 by the Town Assembly and published in 28 August 2009 in Službeni glasnik Grada Trogira, No. 6.
The symbols of Trogir were designed by the Heraldic Art d.o.o. company, from Rijeka.
The flag is in proportions 1:2, white with the coat of arms, bordered yellow, in the middle.
Željko Heimer, 4 January 2011
Coat of arms of Trogir - Image by Željko Heimer, 5 September 2013
The coat of arms is "Azure, a fort with a belfry argent on the base barry wavy of the two, a trailing mullet or in canton and in the doors of the fort standing the patron saint of the town".
A photo of the flag shows the coat of arms with the comet red instead of yellow. The saint is also shown coloured - as it is prescribed - but unlike it was usual until recently. The town website has much more images and photos with the saint shown in full colours, but still some showing him white only.
The coat of arms has a long history, existing initially as
a seal. Ströhl (Städte-Wappen von Ö-U, 1904) [stl04] mentions the 14th century seal inscribed "SIGILLUM COMMVNIS CIVITATIS TRAGVRIENSIS" (The Seal of the Civic
Community of Trogir) showing in the opened doors of the town walls
the inscription "PAX SANT IOHS". An other seal from the same period shows
the Bishop with a star inscribed "SIGILLVM MINVS COIS
CIVITATIS TRAGVRII" (The Lesser Seal of the Civic Community of Trogir). Ströhl shows basically the same coat of arms as used today, although differing in artistic representation.
St. John Osorinus or St. John of Trau was the first Bishop of Trogir in the 11th century, supporting the Croatian kings ruling the hinterland; he was buried in the St. Lawrence cathedral in Trogir, his day being celebrated on 16 November. Ströhl names the saint "hl. Johannes Orsino", a frequent misattribution to the famous Roman family Orsini; the confusion was already made in the late medieval period by similarity of the attribute Osorinus - as he was born in Osor, a place on the Cres island.
Similar arms are shown in Lazsowski's Grbovi Jugoslavije [lsv39] (where he refers to Lind's Städte Wappen [lik85]).
Željko Heimer & Marko Vitez, 10 August 2012
Former flag of Trogir - Image by Željko Heimer, 5 October 2008
An ornamental flag was hoisted on the Kamerlengo fortress (photo, 2004).
The flag is a white gonfalon with rectangular tails with a square panel containing the elements from the coat of arms, blue with a white fortress issuing from the waves with four towers and a belfry, and the town's patron saint St. John Osorinus (St. John of Trau) standing at the doors, and with a shooting star in chief dexter and the coat of arms of the Republic of Croatia in sinister chief. With the adoption of the official flag, this flag would presumably be replaced, although it was still hoisted in 2004 at the Kamerlengo castle.
Željko Heimer, 5 October 2008
Burgee of Yacht Club Trogir - Image by Željko Heimer, 20 October 2016
The burgee of Yacht Club Trogir (photo; photo, September 2011) is horizontally divided red-blue with a yellow triangle at hoist containing the blue silhouette of a yachtman, derived from the club's emblem (image).
Burgee of Yacht Club Mosor - Image by Željko Heimer, 28 June 2001
The yacht club was previously known as Yacht Club Mosor. Its burgee was similar, the yellow triangle containing a black "M".
Aleksandar Nemet & Željko Heimer, 20 October 2015