Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: oberá department | misiones province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Oberá (66,112 inhabitants in 2010) is located 100 km north-east of Posadas.
Oberá was officially established on 9 July 1928, on the site of a colony founded in 1913 by Swedish immigrants. Originally named Yerbal Viejo, this was the most important Swedish colony in South America.
The name of the new town was decided by the government, since its inhabitants could not select a name: the immigrants pushed Svea while the mixed-blood locals pushed Colonia Nueva Argentina. The government eventually adopted a name derived from a Guarani word meaning "shining". Some say this reflected the empowerment of the colonists; while other say it was a tribute to cacique Overo, a cacique who was converted to the Christian religion and was "lit by the sun" to accomplish miracles.
Oberá is the proud home of the Immigrant's National Festival, established in 1980 and granted in 1992 the status of National Festival by Decree No. 421. The festival is organized by the local Federation of Collectivities (Arab, Brazilian, Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Nordic, Paraguayan, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swiss, Ukrainian).
The flag of Oberá is vertically divided red-green by a white stripe shaped as a flying bird.
Red represents Mother Earth, the dynamism and power of the municipality, and its warm inhabitants, since the red colour is directly connected with blood and feeling, Red is also a symbol of energy, which is required for the growth and development of any project. White is a symbol of purity and transparency, which are required for government based on credibility and reciprocal confidence between all the components of the society. The white stripe is shaped like a bird in ascendant flight, representing immigration, which is the source of the cultural development of the region.
Green is a symbol of hope and of the local forest.
The colours are specified as:
The municipality of Panambí (5,470
inhabitants in 2001, 1,005 in the village of Panambí; 20,200 ha) is located on
river Uruguay, here the border with Brazil.
The flag of Panambí is horizontally divided wavy blue-white-green-red, with a dark blue butterfly (in Guarani, "panambí") over the white stripe and the top of the green stripe.
The flag was inaugurated on 26 November 2010.
http://www.noticiasdel6.com/ampliar.php?id=68277&titulo=&PHPSESSID=5c61fbd1652a51c91dfb2e96e3453bb7 - 6Digital, 29 November 2010