This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Redondo Municipality (Portugal)

Concelho de Redondo, Distrito de Évora

Last modified: 2014-07-13 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: redondo | castle(red) | bee | semy |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Redondo municipality] 2:3 image by Sérgio Horta, 26 Dec 2006
See also:

About the Flag

Redondo municipality has a quite typical Portuguese municipal flag, with the coat of arms centred on a quartered background (town rank) red and yellow.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 26 Dec 2006

Coat of arms

[Redondo municipality CoA] image by Sérgio Horta, 25 Dec 2006

The arms are Azure semy of bees Or a tower Gules open and with port and windows Or and masoned Sable issuant from a campaign Sable. (The tower has a thicker "ground storey" with an embattled rim, it is more like an one-tower castle.) Mural crown argent with four visible towers (town rank) and white scroll reading in black upper case letters "REDONDO".
"Redondo" means "round", which is not shown in the arms (apart from the round-pointed shield, that is, but then again all Portuguese territorial shields are round-pointed; (there's no municipality named "Quadrado" nor "Bicudo", meaning "square" and "pointy", so quod erat demonstrandum!); supposedly the bees and tower stand for local attractions.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 26 Dec 2006

Flag and coat of arms adopted and published in the official journal Diário do Governo : II Série in 1951.02.02 (a remarkably late date).
António Martins-Tuválkin, 26 Dec 2006

Version without Coat of Arms

[Redondo municipality plain] 2:3 image by António Martins-Tuválkin, Apr 2010

Presentation of Redondo

Redondo municipality had 6990 inhabitants in 2001, and it is divided in 2 communes, covering 369,5 km². It is part of: Évora District, traditional province and NUTS III Alto Alentejo, and 1999 ref. adm. region and C.C.R. / NUTS II Alentejo.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 26 Dec 2006

back to Municipalities of Portugal click here