This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hoogeveen (The Netherlands)

Drenthe province

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: hoogeveen |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Municipality of Hoogeveen Shipmate Flagchart :
adopted 17 Apr 1958

Other Hoogeveen pages: See also:

Hoogeveen municipality

Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 53.345; area: 129,00 km². Settlements: Hoogeveen (seat), Elim, Fluitenberg, Hollandscheveld, Nieuw Moscou, Nieuweroord, Nieuwlande, Noordscheschut, Pesse, Stuifzand, Tiendeveen.
The municipality of Hoogeveen consists of the former municipality of Hoogeveen and parts of other municipalities, like Ruinen, Beilen, Zuidwolde, e.a.
This flag was adopted by the municipal council on 17 April 1958; it had been in use already for about thirty years. The municipal resolution states for the shade of blue: 'Nassau's blue'. Source: Kl. Sierksma, 'Nederlands Vlaggenboek', 1962.
Jarig Bakker, 29 July 1999

Hoogeveen Coat of Arms

Hoogeveen Coat of Arms image from Ralf Hartemink's site.

Granted 10 Nov 1819. The Hoogeveen Coat of Arms is a pile of peat covered in straw and on both sides there are two beehives and an axe. The beehives date from the time when the inhabitants of Hoogeveen used to dig up empty peat fields to grow "boekweit". Boekweit contains alot of honey. Large numbers of Hoogeveeners became beekeepers. There were periods when the beekeepers in Hoogeveen produced more than 10,000 kilos of honey per year.

Elim village

[Elim village flag] by Jarig Bakker, 17 Jan 2004
adopted 30 april 1998; design: unknown

Elim is a village in Hoogeveen municipality, Drenthe province.
Flagdescription: rectangular, divided diagonally from bottom left to top right, in two fields, red at the hoist and white at the fly; in the center over all a blue disk charged with two black palmtrees, standing on a terrace of the same, behind which issuing from behind the leaves a small white sun.
Confirmed by the Vlaggen Documentatie Centrum Nederland on 30 april 1998.
Elim was founded at the junction of two canals, and developed by the peatdigging, which started c. 1880. Ditches were dug and peat was transported on ships. Apart from the ditches the "Dwarsgat" was dug, a wide ditch or cross-channel connecting the other ditches. In 1786 a community of seasonal workers started to live here in small cottages, and Dwarsgat has long been the name of the settlement.
The official name for Hollandscheveld, incl. Dwarsgat was then "Wijk E". Later Dwarsgat and environment got the name "Wijk H". Elim became an official village on 1 May 1924.
The name "Elim" refers to an oasis which the people of Israel visited after the exodus out of Egypt during the journey through the desert to the Promised Land. According to the Book of Exodus Elim consisted of twelve wells and seventy palmtrees. The palmtree has also been used on the flag of Elim.
Source: Derkwillem Visser's "Gemeentevlaggen en wapens Koninkrijk der Nederlanden", 2001; the Hoogeveen municipal website.; the Elim village-site.
Jarig Bakker, 17 Jan 2004

Noordscheschut village

[Noordscheschut flag] by Jarig Bakker, 17 Jan 2004
adopted June 1999; design: Johnny Jonker

Noordscheschut is a village in Hoogeveen municipality, Drenthe.
The main item is a drawbridge. Noordscheschut = northern lock (in the Hoogeveensche vaart - canal); the lock is topped by a drawbridge, which dominates the village.
The flag was an initiative of the society for village interests (Plaatselijk Belang Noordscheschut); designed in 1998 by Johnny Jonker; adopted June 1999.
Source: letter to Mr. Hans van Heijningen by Roel Benjamins; Noordscheschut's homepage.
Jarig Bakker, 17 Jan 2004