Last modified: 2020-04-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: huecas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Huecas - Image by "Nethunter", Wikimedia Commons, 9 September 2019
The municipality of Huecas (683 inhabitants in 2018; 2,742 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km north-west of Toledo and 10 km north-east of Torrijos.
Huecas was already settled in the 3rd millennium BC, as evidenced by the archeological site of Valle de las Higueras and the Castillejo tumulus.
During the Muslim rule, Waqas was a flourishing town, especially during the rule of Al-Mamun over the taifa (kingdom) of Toledo. Waqas was the birth place of Hisem-al-Waqasi, a brother in arms of El Cid Campeador, and a possible author El Cantar de Mío Cid, according to Dolores Oliver Pérez (El Cantar de Mío Cid: génesis y autoría árabe, 2008).
Huecas was granted the status of villa on 7 April 1445 by King John II, separating from Toledo. Transferred to Pedro López de Ayala, 1st Count of Fuensalida, Huecas was incorporated to the County of Fuensalida, together with Cedillo del Condado, Humanes, Guadamur, Fuensalida and Pero Moro. On 24 July 1468, Henry IV allowed the Count to build in Huecas the second fortress of the county, but the building was never initiated.
Ivan Sache, 9 September 2019
The flag of Huecas (photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 5 September 1994 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 16 September 1994 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 44, p. 3,194 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, divided in four equal portions by its diagonals, the lateral, green, and the upper and lower, white.
The coat of arms of Huecas is prescribed by an Order issued on 5 September 1994 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 16 September 1994 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 44, pp. 3,194-3,194 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Vert a crescent reverted waves argent and azure in base, 2. Argent two wolves sable. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown.
The Royal Academy of History approved the proposed symbols "without any inconvenience".
At the end of the 18th century, a fountain was reportedly decorated with an engraved shield featuring two wolves (lobos), the canting arms of the López de Ayala lineage. The proposed arms have added a first quarter recalling the Arab origin of the town [crescent] and the abundance of fountains in the town [waves].
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 192:2, 343. 1995]
More specifically, the early arms were featured on the pillory and "on a stone of the pillar of the fountain where cattle drink", as "two greyhounds running westwards".
[José Luis Ruz Márquez & Ventura Leblic García. Heraldica municipal de la Provincia de Toledo. 1983]
Ivan Sache, 9 September 2019