Last modified: 2020-04-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: castilleja de la cuesta |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Castilleja de la Cuesta - Image from the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 6 June 2014
The municipality of Castilleja de la Cuesta (17,075 inhabitants in 2008; 223 ha; municipal website) is located 5 km east of Seville.
Castilleja might have been the Iberian settlement listed by Ptolemy as Ucia or the Roman colony of Osset, founded by Caesar. In the Moorish times, the place, known as Castalla Talaço;ana, was probably inhabited by farmers. In 1248, King Ferdinand III the Saint conquered the villages surrounding Seville and used them as outposts for the final assault against the town. Castilleja was renamed Alixar, a name subsequently replaced by Castellán and, eventually, by Castilleja de la Cuesta.
When Alfonso X the Wise shared out the region of Seville, Castellán was divided in two parts. The first part was transferred to his uncle Rodrigo Alonso, the son of Alfonso IX, who swapped it in 1267 with the Order of Saint James for a domain located near Benavente. The Order of Saint James had been the main military support of the king in the reconquest of Seville. The second part, known as Calle Real (Royal Street) was kept by the King, who appointed the Archbishop of Seville to rule it. The resettlement of Castilleja was boosted by the Order of Saint James, which granted charters to the town in 1334, 1367, 1370 and 1408.
After the death of Grand Master Alonso de Cárdenas, the Catholic Monarchs reincorporated all the Order's territories to the Kingdom of Castile, including Castilleja de la Cuesta. On 23 May 1539, King Charles I sold the town to Pedro de Guzmán, Count of Olivares, except Calle Real, that remained part of the neighbouring town of Tomares until eventually sold in 1634 only. Castelleja de la Cuesta belonged to the Olivares family until the suppression of the feudal system in the 19th century.
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2009
The flag of Castilleja de la Cuesta, adopted on 18 September 2006 by the Municipal Council and submitted on the same day to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 3 October 2006 by the General Directorate of Local Administration and published on 24 October 2006 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 206, p. 13 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, with the length one and a half the hoist, made of a vertical yellow stripe placed at hoist and covering 1/3 of the panel; the remaining 2/3 of the panel divided into two equal horizontal stripes, the upper Bordeaux red and the lower sea blue. The municipal coat of arms placed over the confluence of the three stripes of the flag.
The coat of arms of Castilleja de la Cuesta, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is prescribed by Decree No. 2,950, adopted on 8 September 1964 by the Spanish Government and published on 3 October 1964 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 238, p. 12,964 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules a castle argent, 2. Quarterly per saltire, 2a. and 2d. Azure a cauldron or checky azure with seven snake's heads, 2b. and 2c. Argent five ermine spots sable per saltire (Guzmán). The shield surmounted by a Count's coronet.
The castle recalls the place name. The cauldrons and the ermines refer to the Guzmán lineage, once lords of the town.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Sevilla (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2009