This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Vallejera (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: vallejera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Vallejera - Image by Ivan Sache, 3 March 2014

See also:

Presentation of Vallejera

The municipality of Vallejera (aka Vallegera; 40 inhabitants in 2012; 1,833 ha; unofficial website) is located in the west of the Province of Burgos, on the border with Palencia province, 50 km from Burgos.

Vallejera is named for Valle Sieros/ Siera, the old name, meaning "gypsum", of the brook that waters the municipality. The village emerged in the 9th-10th centuries, as part of the alfoz (group of villages) of Palenzuela. The village was listed as Val de Vallelieras on a document dated 1079. The archives of the monastery of San Salvador del Moral, located in Cordovilla (today in the Palencia province) indicate that Vallejera was chartered not later than the middle of the 12th century. On 13 October 1270, the limit between Vallejera and Castrojeriz was marked by a post.
In the middle of the 14th century, Valligera belonged to the late Juan García de Padilla and his wife María González de Hinestrosa. Their grand daughter, María de Padilla, famous for her romance with King Peter I, is said by the local tradition to have been born in Vallejera.

Ivan Sache, 3 March 2014

Symbols of Vallejera

The flag of Vallejera (unofficial website) is quadrangular, in proportions 1:1, made of three horizontal stripes, red, white and green, with respective proportions 3/10, 4/10 and 3/10. Along the hoist is placed a yellow triangle of 4/10. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.

The coat of arms of Vallejera is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 1 April 2001 by the Municipal Council, signed the same day by the Mayor, and published on 9 May 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Arms of Castile surrounded by two pans argent, 2. Or a holly oak fructed or terraced vert a sheep proper. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The coat of arms was designed by Friar Valentín de la Cruz, Official Chronicler of Province of Burgos. The arms of Castile highlight the Castilian origin of the village, while the pans (padillas) recall the Padilla, once lords of the village. The holly oak and the sheep recall the rural traditions of Vallejera.

Ivan Sache, 3 March 2014