Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: villanueva de teba |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villanueva de Teba - Image by "Erlenmeyer" (Wikimedia Commons), 17 March 2015
The municipality of Villanueva de Teba (49 inhabitants in 2009; 612 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km of Burgos.
Villanueva was mentioned for the first time in 957 among the list of
the goods owned by Abbot Adolfo of the San Mamés monastery. In 1058,
the village was mentioned as Villanueva del Conde, for the sake of
differentiation with the several other places called Villanueva. The
count (conde) alluded in the name of the village was probably one of
the Counts of Bureba, descendants of Count Fernán González and of his second wife, Urraca. In the 13th century, the village, still a Royal domain (realengo), was under the control of the powerful San
Salvador de Oña monastery.
In 1916, Villanueva del Conde was renamed Villanueva de Teba, to prevent confusion with a municipality of the same name located in Salamanca Province. The new epithet alludes to the Counts of Teba, a famous local lineage.
Ivan Sache, 28 March 2011
The flag of Villanueva de Teba, adopted on 23 January 2000 by the
Municipal Council, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 11 May 2000 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 17 May 2000 by the President of the Government, and published on 1 June 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 105, p. 6,735 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Tricolor flag with scale 10:10. Along the hoist a vertical stripe of 0.2 red, the rest of the flag made of two horizontal stripes (0.8 x 0.5), the upper stripe yellow and the lower stripe blue. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The Royal Academy of History did not find any objection to the
proposed flag, but could not approve it since it contains a coat of
arms that had not been legally approved.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2003, 200, 2: 141]
The coat of arms of Villanueva de Teba is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 14 October 1999 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 17 November 1999 by the President of the Government, and published on 2 December 1999 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 233, p. 11,759 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure in chief a seven-pointed star or, 2. Azure three spikes or ensigned with a Count's coronet of the same. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy of History found two objections to the proposed coat
of arms, which was rejected. Once more, the fact that the municipality
belonged to the old Kingdom of Castile is not a sufficient reason to
use the arms of the Kings. The castle might be kept in the new
proposal, but with other colours for the sake of differentiation from
the Royal arms. While the municipality was once, briefly, ruled by the
Counts of Teba, it is not adequate to used in the field a modern
Count's coronet, without any heraldic reference to the arms of the Teba.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2001, 198, 2: 403]
Ivan Sache, 17 March 2015