This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cotogchoa Parish (Pichincha, Ecuador)

Last modified: 2018-11-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: pichincha | ruminahui | cotogchoa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



image by Ivan Sache, 18 September 2018


See also:


Overview

The parish of Cotogchoa (4,003 inhabitants in 2001; 3,460 ha) is part of the Rumiñahui canton (Pichincha province). The parish of Cotogchoa was established on 31 May 1938 in the newly established Rumiñahui canton. At the time, the settlement was composed of 230 houses and 1,300 inhabitants.
Ivan Sache, 06 January 2015

The rural parish of Cotogchoa (3,937 inh. in 2001; 3,460 ha) forms the south-western part of Rumiñahui canton.

Cotogchoa is of unknown origin; the lack of archaeological remains leaves its etymology to all kind of speculation. Some say the place was named for Cotogchoa, the wife of cacique Pasochoa who ruled there a powerful fortress. Another legend claims that a group of farmers who had left the northern slope of erupting Cotopaxi, led by cacique Golqui and his wife San, established the village of Sangolqui. The Spanish conquerors are said to have moved Sangolqui to its present location and renamed the early site to Cotogchoa.

The parish of Cotogchoa was established on 31 May 1938, the same day Rumiñahui canton was established with Sangolqui as its capital. At the time, Cotogchoa was composed of 230 huts and 1,300 inhabitants.
http://cotogchoa.gob.ec/
Parish website
Ivan Sache, 18 September 2018


The Flag

The flag of Cotogchoa is horizontally divided green-yellow.
Green is a symbol of the natural environment composed of woods and the slopes of mount Pasochos.
Yellow is a symbol of the agronomic resources of the parish.
http://cotogchoa.gob.ec/pichincha/?p=90
Parish website
Ivan Sache, 18 September 2018