This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Geesthacht (Germany)

Stadt Geesthacht, Kreis Herzogtum Lauenburg, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: geesthacht | per pale | willow | ship | saplings(7) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Geesthacht city flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 14 Sep 2006
appoved 5 April 1929 See also:

City of Geesthacht city

Geesthacht City Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is a red over white horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Feb 2013

Geesthacht Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per pale into silver (= white) and blue. The dexter side displays a black willow tree with seven green saplings on top of a green three-peaked mountain. The sinister side displays a golden (= yellow) vessel over blue and silver waves. The vessel has one mast, a silver (= white) sail and a masthead pennant of the same colour.
The location is first mentioned in 1216 as "Hachede", which belonged to the Askanian Duchy of Saxe-Lauenburg. From 1420 until 1867 it belonged to the Bergedorf District (Amt Bergedorf), a condominium of the Hansa Cities of Hamburg and Lübeck. From 1867 to 1937 it belonged to Hamburg and afterwards to the the Prussian Province of Schleswig-Holstein. The senate of Hamburg granted the arms in 1915, city rights in 1924 and the flag in 1929. The colours red and white are those of Hamburg. Willow and ship are symbolizing traditional crafts: basketry, symbolized by the willow, and shipping. The ship, a so called Ewer was used for fishing, freighting and until the 20th century a ferry service connecting Geesthacht with the Elbe Marshes on the southern bank of Elbe River. The saplings are alluding to the seven oldest families of Geesthacht.
Source: Reißmann 1997, p.142 and Stadler 1970, p.99

The flag was approved on 5 April 1929. The coat of arms was approved on 5 November 1915. The artists are Hans Holert and Max Lobusch.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 24 Feb 2013

back to Herzogtum Lauenburg cities and municipalities click here.