This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Karlstadt County until 1972 (Unterfranken District, Bavaria, Germany)

Landkreis Karlstadt

Last modified: 2013-12-09 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis karlstadt | karlstadt county | coat of arms: per fess (per fess dancetty) | coat of arms: per pale (fess: paly) | coat of arms: per pale (pallets: red) | coat of arms: per pale (pallets: 2) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Karlstadt County until 1972 (Unterfranken District, Bavaria, Germany)]
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat-of-arms adopted 9th February 1962, flag adopted 10th December 1963, abolished 30th June 1972

See also:


White-red-yellow, adopted 10.12.1963. The counties of Karlstadt, Gemünden, Lohr and Marktheidenfeld were amalgamated into the new county Main-Spessart under the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.

Stefan Schwoon, 16 August 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on February 9, 1962.

The largest part of the district was ruled until 1803 by the Bishops of Würzburg, hence the arms of the State of Würzburg in the upper part of the arms.

The lower part shows in the sinister half the pallets of the arms of the Lords of Trimberg, who owned the Arnstein estate until 1292, when it was acquired by the bishops of Würzburg.

The lower dexter half shows the fess with the pallets from the arms of the Lords of Thüngen, whose residence was in the district.

Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.

Santiago Dotor, 17 July 2003