Last modified: 2021-01-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: chute-aux-outardes | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Photos of this flag were posted in September 2020 by Luc Vartan Baronian in the FOTW Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/flagsoftheworld/permalink/3873454376002589
The flag is white with the lower hoist divided off by a blue line and coloured dark blue-green, and on the white field the logo depicting a flying goose and the intertwined letters MCO.
Masao Okazaki, 21 December 2020
The municipality of Chutes-aux-Outardes (1,531 inhabitants in 2018; 720 ha)
was established on 7 March 1951 on the northern shore of the Saint-Lawrence.
"Chutes" (Falls) refers to the falls of Rivière-aux-Outardes use to supply
electricity to the neighboring Baie-Comeau paper mill.
The "outardes" are, in French Canadian, Canada geese (Branta canadensis). For whatever reason, the first French settlers called "outardes" birds that have little to do with bustards, the "genuine outardes".
The place was already known to the Innu as a migration corridor for Canada geese. They called the river Pletipishtuk, 'Water Partridge River".
Commission de toponymie du Québec
Ivan Sache, 23 December 2020