Last modified: 2018-07-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: vlorë | finiq | sarandë |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vlorë County - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 11 March 2018
The flag of Vlorë County (photo) is white with the county's coat of arms in the center. "Quarku" means "County".
Tomislav Šipek, 11 March 2018
Flag of Vlorë - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 11 March 2018
The flag of Vlorë (photo, photo) is blue with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
The statue represented on the emblem is the upper part of the Independence Monument of Vlorë, a joint work by the sculptors Kristaq Rama, Shaban Haderi and Muntaz Dhrami. The monument, dedicated in 1972 for the 60th anniversary of the events, is 17 m in high. The independence of Albania was proclaimed in Vlorë on 28 November 1912 (the year is encarved on the monument) when a group of 83 patriots led by Ismail Qemal (represented in front of the monument) raised the national flag.
Valentin Poposki, Zoltán Hotváth, Jan Mertens, Ivan Sache & Tomislav Šipek, 11 March 2018
KS Flamurtari Vlorë
Flamurtari Vlorë supporter's flags - Images by Ivan Sache, 7 June 2012
KS Flamurtari Vlorë was founded on 23 March 1923, as Shoqeria Sportive Vlorë. The club was renamed Shoqata Sportive Ismail Qemali in 1935,
and, eventually, Klubi Sportiv Flamurtari Vlorë, on 22 June 1946.
The club won the Albanian League in 1991 and the Albanian Cup in 1985, 1988 and 2009. It has remained famous for its results in the UEFA Cup in the 1980s, being defeated by FC Barcelona in 1986 (1-1 at home; 0-0 away) and knocking out the next season Partizan Belgrade (2-0 at home; 1-2 away) and Wismut Aue (0-1 away; 2-0 at home), being eventually defeated in the third round by FC Barcelona (1-4 away; 1-0 at home).
The supporters of Flamurtari Vlorë use a red flag with three vertical black stripes (photo), similar to the player's jersey.
Red and black are the colors of the Albanian flag (flamur), recalling that Ismail Qemal proclaimed the independence of Albania in Vlorë, known since then as the "Town of the Flag".
Ivan Sache, 7 June 2012
Flag of Finiq - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 21 March 2018
The municipality of Finiq (11,862 inhabitants in 2011; 44,120 ha) is located 130 km south-east of Vlorë and 15 km north-east of Sarandë. The municipality was established in 2015 as the merger of the former municipalities of Finiq, Aliko, Dhivër, Livadhja and Mesopotam. Located in North Epirus 20 km north of the Greek border, Finiq is mostly inhabited by ethnic Greeks.
The flag of Kavajë is white with the municipal coat of arms in the center. "BASKIA" / "Δημος" means "Municipality".
The emblem features the theater of the ancient town of Phoenice (Phoenike / Foinike).
Phoenike played a strategic role from the administrative and political
point of view in the region of Epirus, thanks to its geographical
position and economic development, initially as the center of Chaonia
and then as the capital of Epirote Federation (between 230-168 BC), a
federal state created by the union of the Epirus territories and some of
the most important neighboring regions (Chaonia, Thesprotia and
Molossia). Polybius (200-118 BC) called Phoenike the city with the
strongest fortification walls throughout Epirus. This is evident as well
by the archaeological discoveries that have highlighted the
fortification system and the monuments that represent all the historical
phases of the city. Livy mentioned the Peace of Phoenice that ended the
First Macedonian War (214-205 BC).
In the 3rd century BC, Phoenice reached the maximum of its political, administrative, and architectural development. In the Roman period the role of Phoenice declined, but the theater was rebuilt while a public facility was built in the central part of the city (its size and scope are still unclear), as well as water tanks. One of the most important monuments of late antiquity in Phoenice is the early Christian basilica with three naves and an atrium at the front (5th-6th centuries).
The theater is the landmark of the ancient city of Phoenice, reflecting
the Hellenistic and the Roman periods. Its very large dimensions (the
scenae frons measure over 30 m of length) attests of importance of the
town as a political capital.
The orchestra occupies a large artificial terrace in the western slope of the hill. The cavea is geared totally in the natural terrain that forms a semi-circular beam, ideal for building the seats. The theater was used for performances and probably for political meetings of the Epirote Federation.
Based on architectural structures and archaeological material, consisting of black-glazed pottery and artwork that decorated the stage, the theater dates back to the middle of the 3rd century BC, it had a second construction period in the 2nd century BC. The theater had a reconstruction in the Roman period (3rd century).
The monument was first excavated in 2000 by the Albanian-Italian mission led by Shpresa Gjongecaj (Archaeological Institute of Tirana) and Sandro De Maria (Bologna University).
Tomislav Šipek, António Martins & Ivan Sache, 21 March 2018
Flag of Sarandë- Image by Tomislav Šipek, 18 March 2018
The flag of Sarandë (photo) is blue with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Tomislav Šipek, 18 March 2018