Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: monte caseros department | corrientes province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Monte Caseros (26,338 inhabitants in 2010) is located on
the border triple point with Brazil (Barra do Quaraí) and Uruguay (Bella Unión),
400 km south-east of Corrientes.
Monte Caseros was established on 5 October 1829 on river Uruguay, as Paso de los Higos. The place was named for higuerón, Ficus luschnathiana (Miq.) Miq., a local wild fig tree.
Fixed by the land surveyor Santiago Achinelli, the limits of the town were validated by a Decree adopted on 23 November 1829. A Decree signed on 3 July 1830 by Governor Cabral prescribed that all goods imported from the Eastern Strip should enter the province via Pas de los Higos. During the Franco-English blockade of Río de la Plata in 1839, Paso de los Higos was the only port where goods and ammunition could transit.
The town was refounded as the capital of a new department, separating from the Curuzú Cuatiá Department, on 18 February 1855 by Governor Juan Pujol. The name of the new department recalls the battle of Monte Caseros, fought on 2 February 1852 north-west of Greater Buenos Aires, which ended Juan Manuel Rosas' dictatorship.
http://www.montecaseros.gob.ar - Municipal website
The flag of Monte Caseros is vertically divided celestial blue-white-celestial blue with an emblem in the center. The flag was selected in 1997 in a contest open to the schools of the department. The winning design was proposed by Sofia Cornalo and Florencia Saggini, from School N. 89 "Del Sesquicentenario". The emblem features a map of the department charged with emblematic elements of the town: the Cachuera tower*, carnival, citrus**, railway, and the river.
http://institucionn.webnode.com.ar/premios-obtenidos- - Presentation of the flag by its designers
*The Cachuera tower (8 m in height and 3 m in diameter) was erected in 1936 in neo-medieval style. The tower was the first water tower in Monte Caseros, named for the Spanish word "cachuera", "a waterfall".
**Citrus are planted on 17,250 ha in the Monte Caseros Department, that is 55% of the total area planted with citrus in the Corrientes Province.
Ivan Sache, 6 May 2017