Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: marcos paz | paz (marcos) | partido de marcos paz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The District of Marcos Paz (43,400 inhabitants in 2001; 470 sq. km) is located in the southwest of the Buenos Aires Province. The district is made of the towns of Marcos Paz (39,151 inh.) and of the settlements of Elías Romero, Santa Rosa, Lisandro de la Torre, and Santa Marta.
Marcos Paz was established near the Coronel Doctor Marcos Paz railway station, inaugurated on 24 December 1870 on the Merlo-Lobos line. The engineer Carlos Chapeaurouge was commissioned by the municipality of Merlo to draft the plan of the new settlements. The report written by the engineer credits the foundation of the settlement to Juan Manuel Feijoó and the apple growers Villar, Hueyo and Quintana.
The District of Marco Paz was established by Law No. 1,244, adopted in 1878. The town is named for Colonel Marcos Paz (1813-1868), Governor of Tucumán (1858-1860).
Marcos Paz was nicknamed the Tree's Village ("Pueblo del árbol") by the poet Mario J. Grand. Following the growth of the settlement, the nickname was updated to Tree's Town ("Ciudad del árbol").
Ivan Sache 25 Jan 2014
The flag of Marcos Paz is horizontally divided green-white-green. In the middle of the white stripe is placed a green tree surrounded by a laurel wreath and standing on a scroll of the national colours.
Ivan Sache, 25 Jan 2014