Last modified: 2016-10-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: afyonkarahisar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Afyonkarahisar - Image by Jens Pattke, 4 October 2012
The municipality of Afyonkarahisar (236,297 inhabitants in 2012, 186,991 in the town proper; 10,251 ha) is located in western Anatolia, 250 km south-west of Ankara. Once known as Afyon ("opium"), the town was renamed Afyonkarahisar ("Opium Black Castle") in 2004.
Ivan Sache, 21 February 2016
The flag of Afyonkarahisar (photo, photo) is white with the municipality's emblem in the middle. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
The emblem of the municipality features the volcanic rock that culminates 200 m above the town (photo, photo, photo). The rock has been topped by a fortress since the Hittite times (c. 1350 BC); in 1071, the Seljuk Turks settled the place and renamed it Kara Hisar, for the fortress. Partly ruined, the citadel can be reached by climbing 800 stairs.
Tomislav Šipek, 4 October 2012