Last modified: 2019-04-13 by rick wyatt
Keywords: marathon yacht club | united states yacht club | florida |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 25 March 2019
Estb: 1951. Location: 33rd Street Gulf, Marathon.
Burgee: Pennant circa 4:5 (print image). Blue field charged with a horizontal yellow key (bow to hoist) on a green map of Florida.
Source: Lloyds Register of American Yachts. New York, 1966.
"The land on which the club was built was owned by the Florida East Coast Railroad Company and sold to the Overseas Road and Toll Bridge District [who] sold the property to Monroe County, . . . the ramp was removed from the club ownership and released to the County for public use. In 2002, with the formation of the City of Marathon, the lease was assigned to the City with no restrictions on use."
"The Marathon Yacht Club was formed on April 24. 1951, with 24 present, and Chet Tingler was elected first Commodore. An avid and knowledgeable sailor and a member of the Florida Sailing Assoc., . . . Rivalry between the Key West Outboard Club and MYC started an overnight ocean race in 1952 and the following year the Tingler Perpetual Trophy for the Marathon to Key West Ocean Race was placed in competition. Tingler won it twice."
Source: accessed 15 March 2019, https://marathonyc.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=86&club_id=54268&item_id=40011
Image based on
Peter Edwards, 25 March 2019