Last modified: 2019-04-13 by rick wyatt
Keywords: florida yacht club | united states yacht club | florida |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 27 March 2019
Estb: 1876. Location: 5210 Yacht Club Rd., Jacksonville.
Burgee: Pennant circa 5:7 (web image). White field, fimbriated red on two sides, charged with a blue letter F.
Source: accessed 27 March 2019, https://www.thefloridayachtclub.org
"The Florida Yacht Club was established by seventeen charter members in 1877. New York businessman William Backhouse Astor, Jr., was the driving force behind the creation of a club promoting boating and water sports in Jacksonville. Astor felt that the broad and slow St. Johns River was a perfect location for boating, though he was the only person in Jacksonville to actually own a yacht at the time. The original clubhouse was constructed at the end of Market Street in downtown Jacksonville, and cost $3,500, to which Astor contributed $500. The original Florida Yacht Club building was a large two-story edifice, with the second floor being used for gatherings and dances.
Astor served as the club's first "Commodore". The original building burned down in the Great Fire of 1901. The club moved to a temporary clubhouse in the Riverside neighborhood, before relocating to a new dedicated facility on Willow Branch Creek in 1907. In 1928 the club moved to its present building in the Ortega neighborhood. The current clubhouse was designed in the Mediterranean Revival style and cost $90,000.
Source: Wikipedia quoting Wood, Wayne W.; Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission (1996). Jacksonville's Architectural Heritage.
University Press of Florida.
Peter Edwards, 30 March 2019