This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Barnegat Yacht Club (U.S.)

New Jersey

Last modified: 2015-08-24 by rick wyatt
Keywords: barnegat yacht club | united states yacht club | new jersey |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Barnegat Yacht Club, New Jersey] image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 10 June 2015

See also:

Description of the flag

The Barnegat Yacht Club is listed in Lloyd's Register of American Yachts, 1912, as organised in 1903. with as its station Barnegat, N.J., and with Barnegat Bay as its home waters.

Its burgee is depicted as a ca. 2:3 red triangle with a dark blue falling diagonal stripe from the upper corner, with on the stripe a white, bold, sans capital B.

The Times of Philadelphia already mentions a Barnegat Yacht Club on 9 August 1891. Apparently the club already existed in an even more informal state before 1903, or the club organised that year was not the first club with that name.

The BYC was still listed in Lloyd's for 1917, but in 1929 the burgee is no longer pictured. There's still a mention of the club in the Red Bank Register of 15 August 1935, though.

Burchard Galleries auctioned in 2007 a trophy from July 1904, for a race held by the Barnegat Yacht Club, ( On this trophy the burgee is depicted differently: a ca. 2:3 very dark blue triangle with a red falling diagonal stripe of which the upper edge starts from the top hoist, with on the stripe a white, bold, sans capital B, aligned with the stripe.
[Flag of Barnegat Yacht Club, New Jersey]
Version on 1904 Trophy
image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 10 June 2015

Though some differences in details might have been considered an acceptable variation by the club, I would say that colouring the burgee the wrong way round would have lead to the club telling the maker to re-do the burgee. It looks like the burgee is a separate element, which would have facilitated such a correction, and such a request. Hence, this may really have been what the burgee of the BYC looked like in 1904.

Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 27 May 2015