Last modified: 2020-05-17 by rick wyatt
Keywords: brooklyn yacht club | united states yacht club | new york |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 1 July 2019
Re-established? 1946. Location: 3147 Voorhies Avenue, Brooklyn.
Burgee: Pennant circa 5:9 (web image) [drawn as5:8]. Yellow field charged with a blue area forming a solid letter B at the hoist, and with a blue lozenge to the fly point.
Sources: accessed 23 June 2019, https://www.bycmembership.com/ and https://www.burgees.com/BGroupBo-Bz.htm
Peter Edwards, 30 June 2019
Apparently, in 1946, a new yacht club was created, and it happened to
use a name that was already in use. (The name again may have been dormant
because of the war.)
By 1949, Lloyd's lists two Brooklyn Yacht Clubs: One the star on red, and the other a burgee blue before red per hoistward chevron with a centred white capital B, and smaller white capital Y at the hoist and C at the fly.
In 1950, neither of the two is shown in Lloyd's. Then in 1951, Lloyd's shows the blue-yellow burgee shown above. By 1954, it's no longer shown. In Lloyd's 1963, the Brooklyn Yacht club of 1946 is listed for the address of the current BYC, making it likely the 1951 burgee belongs with the current club, even if they don't picture a burgee themselves.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 1 July 2019