Last modified: 2012-03-30 by rick wyatt
Keywords: belmont county | ohio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located at The Flag Lady's Flag Store by Phil Nelson, 9 November 2003
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Belmont County:
A light blue swallowtail with the county seal on it.
Phil Nelson, 9 November 2003
The county seal appears on a light blue burgee, which is considered to be the first Ohio county flag that is the same shape as the Ohio flag. The Belmont County seal was designed late one night in 1988 by Michael Massa, a law student
working for the State of Ohio. Actually, three of his designs were displayed in Belmont County, and citizens of all ages voted for the best one. The competition was covered in the national news by Paul Harvey. The winning design shows the
sun rising over the Belmont County Courthouse cupola. From the central sun emanate 9 rays toward the perimeter of the seal, ending at nine white stars, which Massa says "are emblematic of Belmont County's role as the 9th parcel to be initially incorporated into the Ohio Territory, via the 'Northwest Ordinance'." Belmont County was established in 1801. The name combines the French words "belle monte" which mean "beautiful mountain." The rolling hills and the Ohio River can be seen in the background of the seal. The official county seal includes a Latin motto which does not appear on the flag. "Meliorem Lapsa Locavit" means "He has planted better than the fallen," or "Having fallen, a better was planted," and was also used on the seal of the Northwest Territory.
Located by Valentin Poposki, 26 September 2007