Last modified: 2016-02-27 by rick wyatt
Keywords: winnemucca | nevada | humboldt county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Valentin Poposki, 19 October 2011
The Winnemucca official website shows a photo of a flag horizontally divided blue-white-blue, the white stripe inscribed "WINNEMUCCA" in blue, serifed letters. All over is represented the golden silhouette of a horse rider.
Source: www.winnemucca.nv.us/home_photos/images/home_main_photo_flag.jpg - Winnemucca website
Some background information:
"A French trader settled on the banks of the Humboldt River in 1860, near the present-day Winnemucca, and called it French Ford. Essential for the wagon trains heading West on the Immigrant Trail, French Ford became a popular supply depot in those early years. By 1868, freight wagons and then the Central Pacific Railroad were making their way through the region, thus the crossing was well on its way to becoming a well-known mining and cowboy hum of the West.
In 1868, the Railroad chose to honor a local Paiute Indian, Chief Winnemucca, and changed the name of the bustling town to Winnemucca. As the town grew and prospered in the 1860's, it wasn't long before it gained control of the county seat from the nearby mining town of Unionville. Rich in history of the buckaroos, miners and Basques, Winnemucca still displays signs of the grand old west in its historical building of fine architecture and craftsmanship. Although many structures are gone today, due to the progress and expansion of the town. Many of these relics still stand proud for visitors to admire."
Source: www.winnemucca.nv.us/attractions_historical_walking_tour.html - Winnemucca website
Ivan Sache, 6 October 2012