Last modified: 2012-02-10 by rick wyatt
Keywords: moultrie | georgia | colquitt county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Randy Young, 31 January 2001
The City of Moultrie, Georgia, is using the historical Moultrie flag. Information by Brenda S. Ellison, Executive Assistant to City Manager, Assistant City Clerk, City of Moultrie:
"By virtue of the fact that the City of Moultrie, Georgia has derived its name from the illustrious revolutionary figure, Colonel William Moultrie, it appears fitting and proper that the City of Moultrie, Georgia should adopt as its official flag the Colonel William Moultrie flag. Before American independence became a reality, there were colonial and regimental flags by the score. While the pine tree was a popular design, there were numerous other symbols such as beavers, anchors and rattlesnakes, or combinations of these symbols with appropriate slogans. Among these pre-Stars and Stripes emblems was the Moultrie Flag -the first distinctive American flag to be displayed in the South.About the city:
The formal record states that: "On June 28, 1776, while engaged in constructing a rude defensive work of logs on Sullivan's Island, Charleston Harbor, Moultrie was attacked by a British fleet under Admiral Sir Peter Parker. " At one time during the battle the crescent flag fell outside upon the beach. Sgt. William Jasper seeing this, cried out to Colonel Moultrie, "Don't let us fight without a flag," and leaped the parapet, walked the whole length of the fort, picked up the flag, fastened it on the staff, and in the sight of the whole British fleet and amidst a hail of bullets, fixed it once more firmly upon the bastion. For this he was rewarded for bravery. After an intense artillery attack lasting ten hours, the British forces were compelled to withdraw, and the next day the entire fleet left Charleston Harbor. The name of the fort was changed to Fort Moultrie in honor of the gallant defender. This victory left the Southern States secure from invasion for more than two years.
The emblem that Sgt. Jasper risked his life to raise again was identical to Colonel Moultrie's earlier flag which was first raised in September 1775, except for the addition of the word "Liberty" in white letters.
Miss Judy Ford, Route 6, Moultrie, Georgia, and Miss Penny Newton, Norman Park, Georgia, high school students in the Moultrie public schools, made the official flag for the City of Moultrie. This flag is in the process of being adopted as the official flag of the City of Moultrie. It is patterned after that flag made by order of Colonel William Moultrie in Charleston, South Carolina during the Revolutionary War after his successful defense of the fort which now bears his name on Sullivan's Island in Charleston Harbor. It is 3' x 5', blue with a white crescent in the upper corner next to the staff, inscribed with word "Liberty" and bordered with gold fringe. The flag is reversible with the same design on both sides.
A flag known as the Moultrie flag has flown among other flags on the fourth floor of the State Capitol for many years. This flag was stolen from the State Capitol on May 23, 1974. State Museum Curator, Charlie E. Fleming, filled the gap with a sign bearing the words: "Sorry' Your liberty flag was stolen by some irresponsible person." He has replaced this flag, but the stolen flag has never been found. After its adoption by the Mayor and City Council of the City of Moultrie on June 15,1976, the Moultrie flag will be another proud addition to the memorabilia of this proud little city."