Last modified: 2012-02-10 by rick wyatt
Keywords: jackson | alabama | clarke county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Eugene Ipavec, 27 October 2010
Based on: www.southalabamian.com
" The City of Jackson is named for Andrew Jackson, a military hero of the Creek War and later President of the United States. He passed through the county with his troops in 1813. Jackson was incorporated just three years later, in 1816. It had originally been named Pine Level after the land company that laid out the new town. With a population of approximately 5,300, Jackson is Clarke County's largest city. It serves as a trade center for areas of north Washington County as well as portions of Choctaw County to the west."The flag of the city is shown on a photo. It is horizontally banded 2:1:2 light blue, white, green, with red borders on the white stripe. Three golden pine trees and the text "Heart of the Pines" is written on the blue stripe, 1816 is written in red on the white stripe, and JACKSON Alabama is written in black on the green stripe.