Last modified: 2018-12-19 by rob raeside
Keywords: poprad | st aegidius |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
But in 2003 (August 28) the Poprad City Assembly adopted new local Law
Nr.3/2003 with effect since 14 September 2003. This introduced new Coat
of Arms, which is quite simillar to P - 18/91.:" Azure a triple Mountain
Argent charged with two Arrows Gules per saltire. The supporter: St. Egidius
with Arrow, Crozier, and Mitra, vested Argent,
Having a Coat Gules." The flag is: "White over Blue, the bordure counter changed."
The blue shield with St. Egidius (with golden arrow instead of book) is since 2003 made arms of Poprad City ward Staré Mesto (Old City). The other wards are Stráže pod Tatrami, Kvetnica, Velká, Spišská Sobota (Georgenberg, Szep. Szombat) and Kvetnica.
Ales Krizan, 23 May 2004
Poprad is 15 km southwest of Kezmarok, an important railway and road
junction in East Slovakia with 30.000 inhabitants.
Jarig Bakker, 3 May 1999
Since July 15, 1996 all symbols of Poprad were changed. But the description
in "Public Notice 3/96 amendment" (Novelizácia Všeobecne záväzného nariadenia
3/96) has some evident mistakes. The ratio of Flag (two equal horizontal
stripes white over blue) is according to this source 2:2 (!) and the swallow-tail
reaches to the 1/2 of the field (?). The Arms are Azure and Vert (??) a
representation of Saint Aegidius the Eremite, wearing the red vestment
and mitre, holding a crozier and a book /supplement colour -golden.
The depiction on the Poprad website
shows Azure a Representation of St Aegidius, vested Argent ina coat Gules
(clasp Or), holding a closed Book and a Crozier and having a mitre of the
third. Nothing is green (neither chief nor the base), no notice about the
coat in description.
Ales Krizan, 11 Jun 2001
The territory of Poprad was one of the first settlements of the primeval
man. The locality near Gánovce is known since the beginning of the 20th
century by the finding of the cast of the cranium of primeval man. The
cast is stored in the National Museum in Prague. The territory of the present
Poprad was settled by Celts, Germanics, Tatars and Mongols.The name of
Poprad is found in the oldest document dating back to 1209. It is the document
of King Andrew II, who gives the Spiš territory around Poprad to the Priest
Adolf and his sister. The donation document issued by the Hungarian king
Bela IV dating back to 1256 is the real first mention about this small
town. After 1241 people coming from Germany joined the original inhabitants.
The Germans gradually outnumbered the original population and the name
Poprad was changed to Deutschendorf. Later on the town belonged to Poland
for some time. Gradually the administration and crafts developed here.
In 1692 the paper mill was founded. This period is considered to be the
turning point of the manufacturing and factory production. The year 1871
brought the significant turnaround in the development of Poprad. The railway
was constructed in this year and Poprad became the centre of the upper
Spiš region. Poprad is situated in the centre of the Tatra Basin. Its area
is 63 square kilometres. Poprad is formed by six parts - Poprad, Kvetnica,
Matejovce, Spišská Sobota, Stráže pod Tatrami and Veľká. All together they
have approximately 56,000 inhabitants. Source: Poprad
website, reported by Ales Krizan, 11 Jun 2001