Last modified: 2013-04-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: vuzenica | church tower |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vuzenica - Image by Željko Heimer, 6 July 2005
The municipality of Vuzenica was formed in 1995. There is an important electrical power plant in Vuzenica on the river Drava.
Željko Heimer, 10 April 2000
Gogala [gog02] and Stanič & Jakopič [j2s05] show the flag of Vuzeinca as hoisted vertically, in proportions 2:1, yellow with the municipal coat of arms in the base above the name of the municipality.
Željko Heimer, 6 July 2005
Coat of arms of Vuzenica - Image by Željko Heimer, 10 April 2002
The coat of arms of Vueznica is prescribed by Decision Odlok o grbu Občine Vuzenica (text, adopted on 30 May 1995 and published (only) on 10 May 2002 in the official local gazette Medobčinski uradni vestnik štajerske in Koroške regije, No. 8. Formally, the Decision became valid only on the next day after publication.
The coat of arms is simply described as "based on yellow and
black colours". The "geometric, visual and colour rules" should have
been part of the Decision and issued with it, but the text does not
actually include them.
The complate blazon of the coat of arms is "Or atop an embattled city doorway with an embattled tower toped with a small roofed tower from which is hoisted a flag all argent".
This coat of arms was in use before the 1990s; I have seen it, uncoloured, though in the late 1980s. At that time Vuzenica had no municipal status, and that was the coat of arms of the small town that now forms the core of the municipality.
Stanič & Jakopič [j2s05] show the coat of arms from Kobel and Pirchegger (1954) and Laszowsky (1934) books. The arms have in the first source a green background and in the second a blue background and a somewhat different artistic representation of the tower, but, basically, the same elements are present and recognizable in teh two sources. None of the two sources shows the small tower with the flag.
The Heraldry of the World website further shows the coat of arms from Widimsky (1864), showing the small top tower with the flag, which probably was the inspiration for the current design. The tower originates from the oldest preserved town seal, dated 1696, which doesnot include the small tower with the flag.
Željko Heimer, 15 November 2012