Last modified: 2014-08-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: puconci |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Puconci - Image by Željko Heimer, 29 June 2013
The municipality of Puconci (3,131 inhabitants, 107.58 sq. km; municipal website) is located in northeastern Slovenia, on the border with Hungary. The municipality was established on 1 January 1995, separating from Murska Sobota. It is made of the village of Puconci and of 22 other villages forming the local communities of Puconci, Bodonci, Bokrači, Brezovci, Dolina, Gorica, Mačkovci, Šalamenci, Vaneča, and Zenkovci.
Puconci was mentioned for the first time in 1365 as Monakfolua, and
subsequently known as Onakfalua, Pyczonynch and Puczinz. Allocated to
Yugoslavia after the First World War, Puconci was occupied by Hungary
during the Second World War.
The Lutheran parish of Puconci, the biggest in Slovenia (2,400 members), was established in 1783, following the Edict of Tolerance issued on 13 October 1781 by Emperor Joseph II. The 13th of October was selected as the Municipal Day of Puconci to commemorate the Edict.
Ivan Sache, 28 June 2013
The symbols of Puconci (municipal website) are prescribed by Decision Odlok o uporabi grba in zastave Občine Puconci, adopted on 16 February 1998 and published on 20 March 1998 in the official Slovene gazette Uradni list Republike Slovenije, No. 22.
The flag (photo, table flag) is defined in Article 9 as follows:
The flag of the Municipality of Puconci is of yellow and green colors. Each color takes a half of the flag lenghtwise.
The ratio of the height to length is 1:2. The flag is always hoisted vertically, with the colors ordered, looking from the front, yellow to the left and green to the right side of the flag. On the upper half of the flag is the coat of arms of the Municipality of Puconci, set vertically.
In the drawing of the flag attached to the Deicsion, the two color fields are clearly separated by a thin white fimbriation, approximately of the same width as the white border of the coat of arms.
The symbols of Puconci are said to represent the concept "where the lowlands and the hilly lands shake hands".
Erroneous flag of Puconci, as shown in the official Decision - Image by Željko Heimer, 29 January 2013
The size and exact position of the coat of arms are not defined in the text of the Decision. On the image in the official gazette, the approximate size of the coat of arms (along the horizontal axis) is half the fla'sg hoist, while its lower end is set along the imaginary horizontal line dividing the flag in half.
Željko Heimer, 14 May 2006
Horizontal flags of Puconci - Images by Željko Heimer, 29 June 2013
The flag appears to be sometimes hoisted horizontally, even in official
events (photo). The exact position of the coat of arms, seemingly skewed to
the hoist rather than centered, cannot be guessed from the images.
Some photos seem to show the prescribed, vertical flag, hoisted horizontally, while other show the flag with the coat of arms rotated appropriately, although on the same off-set-to-hoist position.
Željko Heimer & Ivan Sache, 29 June 2013
Coat of arms of Puconci - Image by Željko Heimer, 26 January 1999
The coat of arms of Puconci is described in Article 6 of the aforementioned Decision as follows:
The coat of arms of the Municipality of Puconci is shield-shaped, ending in a semi-circle. The coat of arms is bordered with a white border with black outlines. Vertically in the middle there is in the upper part a wheat ear, in the middle hill outlines and the sun, and in the lower part an apple. All those symbols are outlined in black. The coat of arms includes four colors:
- Golden yellow (sky behind the corn ear) HKS 4 K;
- Orange (sun and corn ear) HKS 8 K;
- Green (hills) HKS 57 K;
- Red (apple) HKS 15 K.
The coat of arms represents the geography and the resources of the municipality. The upper, yellow part stands for Ravensko (lit., the Flatlands); the wheat ear symbolizes the amplitude and productivity of the fields. The lower, green part stands for Goričko (the Hilly Land), an area covered with vineyards, forests and orchards. The apple highlights an old and significant production, symbolizing also friendship. The orange disk placed above the apple represents the sun and the beauty of the landscape.
Željko Heimer & Ivan Sache, 18 June 2013