Last modified: 2014-06-01 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: kalevalan national rayon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is the only district of Karelia with the majority of the native Karelian population, hence the designation "National" in its name.
The district has many lakes (1/6 of the area), taiga-type forests, rivers and swamps. Total area: 13,300 sq.km
The capital is in the small town of Kalevala (pop. 5,500) known, until 1963, as Ukhta (Uhtua) - the birthplace of the first Karelian independent government in 1918.
The District is named after an ancient epic Finnish poem - Kalevala.
The flag of the District is well described by Viktor Lomantsov
(vexillographia.ru) and on the website geraldika.ru.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 25 Jan 2008