Last modified: 2008-08-30 by alex danes
Keywords: orsova | mehedinti | banat | romania | transylvania |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
No information is available on flag.
Orşova (in Hungarian Orsova) is a town in Mehedinţi County of Romania on the left bank of the Danube River. In the territory of the town there was a Roman settlement Dierna Municipium (Dacia Province) The first mention of the settlement is from the 12th century.The settlement was in Temes County of the Kingdom of Hungary. 1524-1718 it was under Turkish rule.1718-1872 it was part of the Military Borderlands.
In 1910 Orsova is a village in the Orsova district of Krassó-Szörény (Caraş-Severin) County. Inhabitants in 1910: 5.795; 2.015 (34,7%) German, 1.870 (32,3%) Hungarian, 1.360 (23,5%) Rumanian, 262 (4,5%) Serb, 223 (3,8) Czech and 65 (1,1%) other by mother tongue, 3.339 (57,6%) Roman Catholic, 1.658 (28,6) Greek Catholic, 253 (4,4%) Jew and 509 (8,8%) other by religion.
06.09.1916 - 08.12.1916 under Rumanian occupation. 08.11.1918 - 19.05.1919 under French occupation. From 1919/1920 (Romanian occupation / Treaty of Trianon) it is part of Romania. The settlement was a town 1952-1960 in Timişoara Region, 1960-1968 in Banat Region and from 1968 is in Mehedinţi County. In 1971 the settlement was destroyed because a hydroeletric dam and was rebuilt in a higher place.
István Molnár, 7 January 2001
Historical flag of Orsova (Kingdom of Hungary)
by István Molnár, 7 January 2001
This flag appears at Dr. Széll Sándor: Városaink neve, címere és lobogója (1941) as "Orsova, Krassó-Szörény Co.".