This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Castro Vicente Commune (Portugal)

Freguesia de Castro Vicente, Concelho de Mogadouro, Distrito de Bragança

Last modified: 2016-07-15 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: castro vicente | coronet | barrulet(wavy) | olive(branch) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Castro Vicente commune] 2:3 image by António Martins-Tuválkin and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 16 May 2016
See also:

About the Flag

It is a typical Portuguese communal flag, with the coat of arms centred on a field quartered of green and white.

Coat of arms

[Castro Vicente commune CoA] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Mar 2016

Shield Vert, base Or charged with a barrulet Azure, two olive branches Or in saltire, fruited and tied Argent, in chief a royal coronet Or gemmed Gules and Vert. Mural crown Argent with four visible towers (town rank) and white scroll with inscription in black initials "CASTRO VICENTE".
The word "castro" means "castrum", a Roman or pre-Roman fortress, or (more usually) the ruins thereof; "Vicente" is the given name "Vincent". The communal namesake settlement takes its name from a nearby named castrum.
Source: this webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Mar 2016

However, there's evidence of use of a completely different coat of arms in 2006. This photo, which shows a roadside communal border marker displaying a coat of arms in all details much like something the CHAAP would approve (cp. the very different case of Santa Maria d'Émeres [pt-vlpsm.html]), showing the local pillory between two chestnut twigs (?) on a golden shield, with a short-toponym scroll reading "CASTRO VICENTE". Its not for sure that the CHAAP would like a greyish/silvery pillory on a golden background, though. Anyway, might this be a proposal from an older arms initiative by the village that didn't make it. The imagery could be from the CHAAP, recoloured the way the village people wanted it.
Source: this photo
António Martins-Tuválkin and Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 20 May 2016

Flag and arms published in the official journal Diário da República: II Série on 3 March 2015
Source: here
António Martins-Tuválkin, 16 May 2016

Presentation of Castro Vicente

Castro Vicente Commune is one of the 21 communes of Mogadouro Municipality; it had 337 inhabitants in 2011 and covers 33.8 km². Castro Vicente is a former municipality seat (Castro Vicente municipality existed from 1315 to 1836) - hence the four towers and the choice for a two-coloured background (even though the law doesn't bar unremakable communes to have two-coloured flags, it has been an custom of the Comissão de Heráldica da Associação dos Arqueólogos Portugueses (CHAAP) till recently to reserve the quartered pattern to go only with 4-tower CoAs).
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 27 Mar 2016 and António Martins-Tuválkin, 16 May 2016

back to Mogadouro Communes click here