Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: maszewo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
First mentioned in 1232 in the document signed by the parish priest
Bertram of Maszewo. In 1274 it was described for the first time as the
"oppidium". Formal city rights granted in 1278 by the Bishop of Kamień,
Herman von Gleichen. In the early XIII Century the land was owned by the
wealthy knightly family of von Massow.
Later the ownership changed frequently among the Pomeranian princes, rulers of Brandenburg and the Eberstein family. The Thirty Years War brought a lot of destruction and a plague - the town declined, until late in the XIXth Century, when the roads were improved and the railroad connected it with Goleniów.
The Red Army took Maszewo on March 7, 1945, heavily damaged.
In 1973 the Commune of Maszewo was created
Soccer (football) team: LKS "Masovia" Maszewo
Arms and flag adopted on February 14, 2003 (resolution # IV/31/03).
"Arms: on the blue, Spanish-style, heraldic shield white defensive wall with the open gate and two towers capped with red roofs and golden balls.
On the middle, gate tower, a golden lion (crowned) standing, facing to the right.
Flag: rectangular, of white and red colors, with the Arms placed near
the hoist side.
The Arms are slightly lifted up above the line forming the border between the white and red bands."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 26 Nov 2008