Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: lipiany |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
In IX Century - a settlement of the Pomeranian tribe of Pyrzyczanie
(Bavarian Geographer (Geographus Bavarus) calls them the Prissani from
"pir" - archaic Slavic term for "wheat").
1124 - arrival of the missionaries with Bishop Otto von Bamberg leading them.
Up to XIII Century the area belonged to the Pomeranian princes.
In 1276, the Bishop of Kamien, Herman, sold it to Brandenburg for 3000 silver marks.
From 1402 to 1454 belonged to the Teutonic Knights.
Devastated by the Hussites in 1433, by the Pomeranians in 1467 and by the Thirty Years War.
City rights granted early in the XIV Century.
In 1840 got the rail connection, which spurred its development.
In 1945 taken by the Red Army relatively unscathed and transferred under Polish administration.
Arms and flag adopted on April 7, 2004 (resolution # XI/94/2004).
"Arms: on a shield divided into two halves, on the right, white field a red half-eagle, on the left, blue field three golden, five-pointed stars arranged in a vertical row.
The old Arms were presenting six-pointed stars, and the pre-war Arms were having a red Brandenburgian eagle instead of Polish one.
Flag: rectangular piece of cloth in the ratio 1:2 on which the Arms
are placed in the middle."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 30 Nov 2008