Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: dobrzyca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Archeological discoveries trace the settlement back to the Roman times.
Established as a village in 1327 by Mikołaj Dobrzycki of Coat of Arms "Leszczyc"
(Nicolao de Dobrycia). Granted city rights (Magdeburg law) in 1440 by King
Ladislaus of Varna.
The city books recorded an income of 15 florens and 24 groszy in 1618, making it a quite well-to-do town of the time.
In 1655 destroyed by the Swedes (The Deluge)
From here hailed the Polish Prime Minister of the Government-in-exile in London (1943-45) Stanisław Mikołajczyk.
Arms granted in 1440 by King Ladislaus Varnensis (king of Poland, Bohemia
According to one legend, King Ladislaus was told the story of four brothers from Dobrzyce participating and dying in the Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg) in 1410. After hearing the story, he decided to grant the town the Coat of Arms of four small crosses on one large one (a cross crosslet).
Another legend claims that one of the owners of Dobrzyce took part in the crusades to the Holy Land, hence the Cross of Jerusalem (really, a cross crosslet) in the town's Arms.
That Coat of Arms was used until Dobrzyca lost the city rights in 1934 and re-instituted in 1990 as a symbol of its democratic self-government.
The first flag of the Dobrzyca commune was created at that time as well.
Flag: new flag of Dobrzyca was adopted on January 29, 2003 (resolution
Rectangular piece of cloth in the ratio 5:8 in red color with the cross crosslet (krzyż zdwojony) placed in the distance of 1/8 of the width of the flag from the hoist.
Height and width of the cross are 4/5 of the height of the flag."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 22 Nov 2008