Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: andrzejewo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jens Pattke, 12 Nov 2009
adopted 14 Aug 2009
Settled in XI century, became a town in 1527 (founded by the bishop
of Płock, Andrzej Krzyski). Russians took away the city rights in 1869
and the place was in steady decline. In 1905, more than 34% of the population
was Jewish. In 1915, the Russian troops, withdrawing in the face of the
German offensive, burned the village to the ground. Reconstructed in the
independent Poland, the village was the site of heavy fighting in 1939
and after that was occupied by the Soviets, who attacked by the Germans
in 1941, once again burned it to the ground.
In 1998 the local self-government was restored and Andrzejewo became the seat of the commune.
In 1999 the first high school was opened in the village.
Stefan Cardinal Wyszyński, the great Primate of Polish Millenium, grew up in Andrzejewo.
Arms and flag adopted on August 14, 2009 (resolution # XXVI/88/09)
Arms: On a red shield there are two silver elements which correspond with the history of the village and the commune.
First is a triple-armed cross of the papal legate to commemorate a great native son - Stefan Cardinal Wyszynski.
Second are the interwoven initials AC symbolizing the founder, Bishop Andrzej Krzycki (Andreas Circius, in Latin)
The funny part of it is that the same initials stand for the current
leader (wójt) of the commune, Antoni Cymbalak, and everybody is asking
what he has done lately to
deserve such an honor? He claims he didn't have anything to do with it, simply, the initials did appear on the ancient seal of Andrzejewo.
The flag is not described. The BIP page of the commune, with the resolution of the adoption, doesn't work right now (404 error).
Source: this webpage.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 8 Nov 2009