Last modified: 2020-04-18 by rob raeside
Keywords: panama | coclé | aguadulce |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The district of Aguadulce (19,037 inhabitants in 2010; 5,040 ha) is located
on the Pacific coast of Panamá, 50 km south of Penonomé and 200 km south west of
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2019
the district of Aguadulce in Coclé Province, Panama, has adopted a flag: a
municipal decree from 13th September 2016 adopted the flag and it was published
in the official gazette on the 3rd of October. The flag was displayed for the
first time on 19th October 2016 for the anniversary of the foundation of the
district in 1848.
It consists of two rectangular stripes of equal size, with red upper stripe in honor of San Juan Bautista, patron of Aguadulce, and gray lower stripe representing the district's progress. The five white stars represent each of the corregimientos (Aguadulce, Pocri, Barrios Unidos, El Cristo, Roble). On the central white disk are two hills, one of which is the Vigia hill, which was an important place during the Thousand Days' War (1899-1902). The green part under the hills stands for the mangroves, and the white squares for salt works.
Under the disk are two sugar canes.
The flag was designed by John Michael Varela Varela, and was chosen through a contest organized by the Municipal Council of Aguadulce.
Olivier Touzeau, 20 January 2017
The flag of Aguadulce is prescribed by Agreement No. 71, adopted on 13
September 2016 by the Municipal Council and published on 3 October 2016 in the
Panamá official gazette, No. 28,130.
The flag of the District of Aguadulce is composed of two rectangular stripes of equal size, with the color red and gray, in descending order, described as follows:
The red color in the upper part honors St. John the Baptist, the patron saint of the District of Aguadulce. The gray color in the lower part represents progress and the past and future works that make of Aguadulce a powerful and progressing district. The five white stars represent peace and the union of the five corregimientos of Aguadulce Capital, Pocrí, El Cristo, El Roble, and Barrios Unidos.
In the flag’s center is a white circle featuring two heights representing Cerro Vigía (Watch Hill); one of them was used to watch vessels heading to the coast in the times of Victoriano Lorenzo [1867-1903, a hero of the Panamanian independence), while the other was sued to watch troops heading from land to Natá in the battle fought between the Liberal and the Conservators during the Thousand Days’ War [1899-1902]. Beneath the hills, a green stripe represents mangrove, an habit for marine species and mollusks that fed natives and foreigners.
The white squares represent salterns, whose product has been since the prehistoric times a source of labor and of a great commercial activity, being used by travelers to preserve meat during sea voyages.
Beneath the circle, are two crossed sugarcanes, the plant used to obtain the product [sugar] connected to the district’s commerce and development; together with salt, it yielded to Aguadulce the nickname of "Land of Salt and Sugar".
The flag was inaugurated on 19 October 2016.
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2019
image by Fred Drews, 2 November 2018