This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Beek (The Netherlands)

Limburg province

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: beek |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Beek municipality Shipmate Flagchart :

See also:

Beek municipality

Beek is known since the 9th century. In the 13th century it became a possession of the Teutonic Order, mainly used for agricultural purposes. In 1794 it became part of the Netherlands. It is c. 20 km north of Maastricht and the site of Maastricht airport. North of Beek was the coal-mine Maurits, which was closed down in the 1950s, since when a huge employment scheme has been carried out. This airport is part of it. The present municipality was formed 1 Jan 1982 by the merger of the former municipalities of Beek and Spaubeek. On 1 Jan 2003 Beek had 17068 inhabitants on 2099 hectares, living in Beek (seat), Neerbeek, Genhout, Geverik en Kelmond, and Spaubeek.
The flag is canting: Beek means 'rivulet'. It is identical to the old Beek municipality flag; this one was adopted by municipal resolution on 14 Oct 1982.
Jarig Bakker, 19 November 1999

The municipal flag of Beek remained the same; the flag was not derived from the old coat of arms.
See further:
Vexilla Nostra jg4 nr11 pg 35
idem                  7     50       2
idem                 18    125    32
Hans van Heijningen, 21 May 2003

Beek Coat of Arms

[Beek coat of arms] image from Ralf Hartemink's website. Granted 3 Dec 1982.

Beek [former municipality]

[old Beek municipality flag] Shipmate Flagchart :

Beek adopted a flag on 30 Jun 1969 by municipal resolution;
The old Coat of Arms is at Ralf Hartemink's website.
Jarig Bakker, 19 November 1999

Spaubeek [former municipality]

Spaubeek never had a flag. Its Coat of Arms is on Ralph Hartemink's website. In 1979 Spaubeek had 3654 inhabiants on 560 hectares, mainly living in the village of Spaubeek (seat).
Jarig Bakker, 19 November 1999