Last modified: 2018-03-25 by rob raeside
Keywords: moldova | moldova state university |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Moldova State University (Universitatea
de Stat din Moldova) was founded on 1 October 1946 as the State University
of Chesinau, composed of the six Faculties of Physics and Mathematics,
Geology and Soil Science, Biology, Chemistry, History, and Philology. New
Faculties were subsequently created: Economics (1953-1991, 2002), Law
(1959), Engineering and Technology (1959), Foreign Languages (1964),
Training Foreign Students (1967), Journalism (1980), Philosophy and Psychology
(1994), and Political Science (1995). The institution was renamed
as the Moldova State University on 19 January 1990.
http://usm.md/ - MSU website
The flag of MSU is white with the university's coat of arms in the center. White represents paper on which knowledge is fixed to be perpetuated. White is also a symbol of cleanness, innocence and wisdom.
The arms of MSU have a green field, as a symbol of destiny, health, freshness, youth, beauty, and joy. The aurochs' head with a five-pointed star between the horns and surrounded dexter by a five-petal flower and sinister by a moon crescent recalls the national arms of Moldova. The three white books - two in chief and one in base - are universal symbols of science and wisdom and traditional emblems of the majority of arms of educational institutes. The books are closed, as old heraldic symbols connected with the Bible. The three books stand for the three areas taught at MSU: exact, natural and human sciences. The shield is surmounted with a mortarboard, one of the insignia of teaching profession. Beneath the shield is a yellow scroll inscribed with the university's motto, "VITAE DISCIMUS (Latin, Learning for Life) in black letters.
http://usm.md/?page_id=528&lang=en - MSU website
Ivan Sache, 10 April 2017