Last modified: 2022-12-31 by bruce berry
Keywords: lesotho | national university of lesotho |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The National University of Lesotho is the oldest university in Lesotho and is located in Roma, approx. 30km southeast of Maseru, the capital. It was founded as the Pius XII Catholic University College in 1945 and later was incorporated into the non-denominational University of Lesotho, Botswana and Swaziland on 01 January 1964. It became an independent campus as the National University of Lesotho in October 1975. The university is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, the Association of African Universities, the International Association of Universities, the Association of Eastern and Southern African Universities and the Southern African Regional Universities Association.
image sent by Bruce Berry, 27 Dec 2022
The flag of the university takes its main colours, red, white and black, from the shield of its Arms. The name of the institution appears in white across a red background.
The shield of the Arms, in traditional Basuto style as in the national
Lesotho Arms, is divided into quarters. The first
and fourth of which has a blue background featuring a
Basuto Hat and an open book (for education) respectively. The second
and third quarters are undefaced with a green and red background respectively.
The motto is 'Nete Ke Thebe which means 'Truth is the Shield' or 'The
Truth will set you free'.
Paul Bassinson, 02 Nov 2022