This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nikolaos Skoufas (Municipality, Greece)

Νικόλαος Σκουφά&

Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: nikolaos skoufas | peta |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Nikolaos Skoufas

The municipality of Nikolaos Skoufas (12,753 inhabitants in 2011; 22,590 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities of Arachthos (Άραχθος, 6,011 inh.), Kommeno (Κομμένο, 835 inh.), Kompoti (Κομπότι, 3,485 inh.) and Peta (Πέτα, 4,904 inh.).

Olivier Touzeau, 14 December 2014

Former municipality of Peta

[Municipal flag]

Flag of Peta - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 14 December 2014

Peta was ruled by the Ottomans even after the Greek War of Independence. The Ottomans recaptured the village and continued ruling the region until 1881 with a brief Greek occupation in the 1850s but it was reconquered. Peta finally joined Greece when ended in 1881 the Ottoman rule of most of Thessaly and of the modern southeastern Arta, in accordance with the 1878 Congress of Berlin. The land northwest of Peta remained in Ottoman hands until the Balkan Wars of 1913.

The flag of Peta (Kokkonis website) was dark red with a khaki ellipsoidal shape (higher than the flag), and the emblem of the municipality in yellow in the middle with the name above.

Olivier Touzeau, 14 December 2014