This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Igoumenitsa (Municipality, Greece)


Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: igoumenitsa | syvota |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Municipal flag]

Flag of Igoumenitsa - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 2 October 2013

See also:

Presentation of Igoumenitsa

The municipality of Igoumenitsa (25,814 inhabitants in 2011; 42,660 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities of Igoumenitsa (17,902 inh.), Margariti (Μαργαρίτι, 3,032 inh.), Parapotamos (Παραπόταμος, 1,668 inh.), Perdika (Πέρδικα, 2,272 inh.), and Syvota (Σύβοτα, 3,010 inh.).

In ancient times Igoumenitsa was known as Titani (Gitani, Gitana, Goumani) and was one of the most important towns of the Kingdom of Thesprotis during the 4th century BC. The town was a meeting place of the Epirote League.
Titani was destroyed by the Romans in 167 BC and later on it was annexed into the Roman Empire. It was ruled by Ottoman Empire and was renamed as Reşadiye in 1909, to honour of Mehmet V, Ottoman Sultan between 1909 and 1918.
After the liberation of the region from the Ottoman rule during the Balkan Wars in 1913, the town name was Grava; in 1938, it became head of the prefecture of Thesprotia and was renamed to Igoumenitsa.

Olivier Touzeau, 2 October 2013

Flag of Igoumenitsa

The flag of Igoumenitsa (Kokkonis website) is white with the municipality's emblem. The new municipality uses the same emblem and the same flag as the former one.

Olivier Touzeau, 2 October 2013

Former municipality of Syvota


Flag of Syvota - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 11 January 2015

The seat of the municipality was in Plataria (Πλαταριά, 961 inh.).
The earliest recorded inhabitants of the region are the Thesprotians, a Greek tribe of Epirus. In antiquity, the location was called Sybota and was the site of the Battle of Sybota. During the Middle Ages, Syvota, like the rest of Epirus, was part of the Byzantine Empire and the Despotate of Epirus. After nearly 500 years of Ottoman rule, Syvota joined Greece in 1913, following the Balkan Wars. The coastal village of Syvota (Albanian: Murto or Vola) was home to Cham Albanians before 1944, when they were expelled for collaborating with the Axis Powers.
Today, Syvota town is a well-developed resort, with numerous beaches with clear waters located on several islets immediately offshore.

The flag of Syvota (Kokkonis website) was white with the municipality's emblem.

Olivier Touzeau, 11 January 2015