Last modified: 2019-08-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: greenwich yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Estb: 1908. Location: Pear Tree Wharf, Pear Tree Way, Greenwich, London.
Burgee: Pennant approx. 10:14 (photo image). Red field charged with white trident prongs on a blue shield centred 3 units from hoist.
Source: accessed 7 July 2019, https://www.reddragonflagmakers.co.uk/products/greenwich-yacht-club-burgee?variant=47258244359
"Thames watermen and river workers founded Greenwich Yacht Club in Greenwich on the 10th March 1908. The Clubhouse was situated for many years on the beach adjacent to the current clubhouse. Originally, it was a beached Thames Sailing Barge "Iverna", then later a hut on the Mudlarks Way beach . . . In more recent times we were based in what is now known as the "old clubhouse" at the end of Riverway. That site was required by English Partnerships, as part of the preparation for construction of the Millennium Dome so English Partnerships provided the club with new facilities on the previously redundant Peartree Wharf.
Greenwich Yacht Club took occupation of the site early in November 1999 with temporary clubrooms in what is now the landside function rooms and where we celebrated the millennium. We finally moved across to our splendid clubhouse in June 2000. Today our club has more than 400 members . . . "
Source: accessed 8 July 2019, http://www.greenwichyachtclub.co.uk/about/history
Peter Edwards, 8 July 2019