Last modified: 2020-01-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: university |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of CentraleSupélec - Image by Ivan Sache, 5 April 2018
CentraleSupélec (website) was established on 1 January 2015 as the merger of École Centrale Paris and Supélec, two leading civil engineering schools (grandes écoles).
École Centrale des Arts et Manufactures was established in 1829 in Paris by the businessman Alphonse Lavallée (1797-1873), the chemist Jean-Baptiste Dumas (1800-1884), the mathematician Théodore Olivier
(1793-1853) and the physicist Eugène Péclet (1793-1857) to train
"doctors for factories and manufactures". In 1857, Lavallée, who had
founded the school with his own money and still owned it, donated it to
the French State. The school moved in 1969 to a brand new campus built
in Châtenay-Malabry, 15 km south of Paris.
École Supérieure d'Électricité was established in 1894 by the physicist Éleuthère Mascart (1837-1908) and the International Electricians' Society. The school moved in 1976 to a brand new campus built in Gif-sur-Yvette, 30 km south-west of Paris.
As a component of the new Université Paris-Saclay, CentraleSupélec inaugurated in 2017 its new campus, composed of the three buildings (Eiffel, Bouygues, Bréguet). The school inherited the three campuses established by Supélec in Rennes (1972), Metz (1985) and by Centrale Paris in Pomacle (2010), and the three international campuses established by Centrale Paris in China (Beijing, 2005), Morocco (Casablanca, 2013) and India (Hyderabad, 2014).
The flag of CentraleSupélec, hoisted at the entrance of the Eiffel building, is white with the school's emblem.
Ivan Sache, 5 April 2018
Université d'Évry-Val d'Essonne
Flag of IEVE - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 June 2019
Université d'Évry-Val d'Essonne (UEVE; website) was established by Decree No. 707 (photo)
issued on 22 July 1991 and published on 25 July 1991 in the French
official gazette, No. 172, p. 9,825.
The university is composed of five Teaching and Research Units: Language, Art and Music; Basic and Applied Sciences; Humanities; Law and Political Science; Science and Technology; a Technology University Institute, located on three sites of the Essonne valley: Évry, Brétigny-sur-Orge and Juvisy; the (associated) National Higher School of Computing for Industry and Business; the Higher School of Professorship and Teaching of the Versailles Academy.
UEVE is a member of Université Paris-Saclay, which is scheduled to eventually absorb it, together with Université de Versailles-Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, in 2025.
[Essonne Info, 1 December 2017]
The flag of UEVE (photo) is white with the university's emblem.
The emblem features two stylized human beings interlaced to form a DNA double helix, a straightforward reference to the Genopole biocluster.
Established in 1998, the Genopole (website) groups now 17 academic research laboratories, 28 technological platforms and 87 high-tech companies involved in the domains of genetics, genomics and biotechnology. As a
founding member of the Genopole, UEVE offers a full teaching and
education cycle in biology, genomics, bioinformatics and mathematics
applied to biology.
The current logo of UEVE, adopted in 2010, was designed by the Rouge Vif agency.
[ComCampus, 10 February 2010]
Ivan Sache, 19 June 2019
Flag of Université Rennes 1 - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 August 2017
University Rennes 1 (website) teaches nearly 30,000 students in the three campuses of Rennes Centre (Law, Economy and Management), Beaulieu (Sciences and Philosophy) and Villejean (Health), and in the technical university institutes (IUT) of Lannion, Saint-Brieuc and Saint-Malo.
The university is composed of the Faculties of Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Law and Political Science, Economical Sciences, Philosophy, Material Science and Properties, Life and Environment Science, Mathematics, and Electronic Computer Science.
The university originates in the establishment of a university in Nantes in 1461 by Francis II, Duke of Brittany, composed of the Faculties of Arts, Theology, Canon Law, Civil Law, and Medicine. In 1735, the Faculty of Law was transferred to Rennes, near the Parliament of Brittany. This first university was closed in 1793.
The University of Rennes was re-founded in 1808 by Napoléon I as an Imperial, secular and independent university. In 1970, the university was split into the University of Upper Brittany - the former Faculty of Letters, Philosophy excluded - and the University of Rennes - all the other faculties, to be renamed in 1984 Rennes 2 and Rennes 1, respectively.
The flag of University Rennes 1 is white with the university's logo. Like for the other French universities, the flag is of very limited use, mostly for promotional events - and, usually, not hoisted in front of campuses and other premises.
The flag was displayed on 26 July 2013 on the top of Mont Blanc by a team from the university ( photo).
The logo of the university features a newt, an animal considered as an aquatic deity by the ancient Celts. The newt was originally adopted on its logo by the Rennes School of Fine Arts in the 1960s after a Celtic phalera discovered by archeologists of Rennes on the site of Kerilien in Plouneventer (Finistère).
[University presentation booklet]
The Newts' Phalera was published by Jean Bousquet in 1963 (Circonscription de Rennes. Gallia, 21, 423-431).
The bronze phalera, of 8 cm in diameter, is decorated with three stylized animals, identified by Pr. Maillet, from the Rennes Faculty of Sciences, as Triturus cristatus (northern crested newt).
The seal-like logo originally adopted by the University of Rennes featured a realistic representation of the phalera, surrounded by a black ring inscribed with "SIGILLUM UNIVERSITAS REDONENSIS" (Seal of the University of Rennes). The University Rennes I inherited the logo, adding "UNIVERSITE DE RENNES 1" beneath the phalera.
The logo in current use has kept the newt, shown in a realistic way, but dropped any reference to the phalera. The newt is represented in dark red, while the writing is in orange letters.
The small logo "ueb" placed on the newt's right recalls that the university was a founding member of the European University of Brittany (Université européenne de Bretagne, UEB). UEB was established in 2007 as a university community by four Breton universities and another 19 institutes of higher educations; in January 2016, it merged with University Nantes-Angers-Le Mans to form University Bretagne Loire.
Ivan Sache, 19 August 2017
Flag of Université Savoie Mont Blanc - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 August 2017
Université Savoie Mont Blanc (USMB; website) teaches 14,000 students in the campuses of Chambéry, Annecy, Annecy-le-Vieux and Le Bourget-du-Lac. It is composed of the Faculties of Law, Letters, Languages and Human Sciences, and Sciences and Mountain, of the Technical University Institutes of Annecy and Chambéry, of the Savoie Mont Blanc University School of Management, and of Polytech Annecy-Chambéry.
USMB was founded on 27 June 1979 as the Chamb&ecute;ry University, with Université de Savoie as its "usage name". The university succeeded the Savoie University Center, established in 1969 as the merger of the University Scientific College (est. 1960) and the University Letters College (1963).
The university was renamed to Université Savoie Mont Blanc in 2014, as a symbol of "unity within the two Savoyard departments and national and international visibility".
[Pierre Préau. 1995. La lente maturation de l'Université de Savoie. Revue de géographie alpine, 83, 73-92]
The flag of USMB is lilac with the university's logo, along the hoist a vertical white stripe and in base a blue stripe inscribed with the URL of the university's website in white letters.. Like for the other French universities, the flag is of very limited use, mostly for promotional events - and, usually, not hoisted in front of campuses and other premises.
The flag was displayed on 17 July 2017 by of the USMB team competing in the European Universities Rowing Championships (12-16 July 2017, Subotica, Serbia) (photo, photo).
The logo of USMB is made of a shield-like graphical element and of the name of the university, in blue letters.
The shield is white, outlined in blue and surmounted by a stylized white crown - recalling the historical Duchy of Savoy - also outlined in blue. The shield is charged in chief with a small coat of arms of Savoy - "Gules a cross argent" - and in base with the three mountains forming a "M", the central white and the lateral blue - symbolizing Mont Blanc (White).
The logo was adopted in 2014 when the name of the university was changed.
[L'Université Savoie Mont Blanc affirme son identité, 2 March 2015]
Ivan Sache, 19 August 2017