This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Beauvoir-sur-Niort (Municipality, Deux-Sèvres, France)

Last modified: 2017-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: beauvoir-sur-niort |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag ]

Flag of Beauvoir-sur-Niort - Image by Ivan Sache, 26 March 2017

See also:

Presentation of Beauvoir-sur-Niort

The municipality of Beauvoir-sur-Niort (1,766 inhabitants in 2014, 2,348 ha; municipal website) is located 20 km south of Niort. The former municipalities of Le Cormenier and Le Revêtizon were incorporated to Beauvoir on 1 January 1973, as associated municipalities, and eventually merged on 1 July 2009 and 1 January 2004, respectively.

Beauvoir was first mentioned in 1224 as Villa de Bello-Visu; the village was subsequently known as Belveer (1228), Beauvais sur Niort (1716), Beauvoir (1782), and, eventually, Beauvoir sur Niort (1893). The name of the village is formed on "beau", "beautiful", and "voir", "to see".
Beauvoir was listed in 1340 among the possessions of Raoul I of Brienne, Count of Eu and Guînes and Constable of France. also owner of the neighbouring forest of Chizé; after the execution of the his son and successor Raoul II in 1350 (most probably for betrayal), his possessions were incorporated to the Royal domain.
The village was involved in the different episodes of the Wars of Religion. In 1368, the infantry company led by the Catholic captain Laprade was defeated by the Protestants; on 7 June 1576, Henry of Navarre, subsequently crowned King of France as Henry IV, stayed at the Rimbault inn. In 1585, the Protestant captain (and writer) Agrippa d'Aubigné (1552-1630) seized Beauvoir and attempted to ambush the Catholic between the village and the forest of Chizé, to no avail. Partially destroyed during the Wars of Religion, the St. James church was restored in 1682 "by the munificence of Louis [XIV] the Great".

Ivan Sache, 26 March 2017

Flag of Beauvoir-sur-Niort

The flag of Beauvoir-sur-Niort (photo, photo) is white with the municipal logo">photo).

The municipal logo features the Raimbault windmill, located 1.5 km from the village on the road heading to Chizé. Built in the 18th century, the mill was increased in height in 1918 when equipped with the Berton system, as reported by Louis Royer, the last miller. Abandoned from 1928 to 1970, the mill had its walls restored in 1971 by a local association. The slate roof and the wings were reestablished between 1976 and 1981.
[Municipal website]

Ivan Sache, 26 March 2017