Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: yvelines | aubergenville |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Aubergenville - Image by Ivan Sache, 11 March 2006
The municipality of Aubergenville (11,667 inhabitants; 883 ha) is
located in the valley of Seine halfway between Mantes and
Saint-Germain-en-Laye. The city is located on the ancient road to
Normandy, today Route Nationale 13, doubled by the Normandy Highway (Autoroute de Normandie, A 13).
In 1672, Aubergenville was divided into three domains:
- The domain of Acosta was purchased in 1661 by Monsieur de Mannevillette, who built there a castle flanked by two pavilions; in 1671, some 500 trees were planted in the park of the castle. The domain is named after Telle d'Acosta, who purchased it in 1758.
- The domain of the Garenne (lit., the warren), located near the Seine, included a big farm transformed around 1766 into a castle.
- The domain of Montgardé was purchased in 1416 by the Chapter of Notre-Dame cathedral of Paris. In the XVIIIth century, the lords of Nézel transformed the ancient farm into a manor where they settled. Life changed in Aubergenville when the Royal road was built between Mantes and Saint-Germain. In 1781, the villagers officially complained about the layout of the new road. To avoid noise pollution, the village progressively moved away from the road and the valley.
The railway Paris-Rouen was inaugurated in 1843. It significantly
contributed to the industrialization of the region. In 1952, Renault
opened a huge car factory in the neighbouring city of Flins and the
population of Aubergenville increased fivefold within 20 years; the
village became a city. In spite of being called Renault-Flins, the
factory is located on the municipal territory of Aubergenville for 80%
of its area. The site was selected because of its proximity to the
river (for shipping heavy goods on barges), the railway and the road,
later the highway connecting the factory with the parent company of
Aubergenville is today a modern city but has kept some remains of its past, for instance an old wash house and a Protestant cemetary. The origin of the Protestant settlement in Aubergenville is not known; it seems to date back to the late XVIth-early XVIIth century.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 11 March 2006
The municipal flag of Aubergenville is white with the municipal logotype, as can be seen on a website showing traffic circles (image no longer online).
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 13 March 2006