Last modified: 2013-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: seine-et-marne | émerainville | ermine (black) | roosters: 3 (red) | marne-la-vallee |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Émerainville - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 23 March 2004
The municipality of Émerainville (7,252 inhabitants; 743 ha, including
185 ha of woods and 100 ha of industrial parks) is part of the communautˇ d'agglomˇration de Marne-la-Vallée - Val Maubuée.
Émerainville was called in the past Emeriacum, Hermery, Hémery, Ermery, Emery etc. The origin of the name is obscure, maybe Germanic (Haim rich). The suffix -ville was added under the First Empire.
Courcerin (or Courcerain) was a small hamlet with 7-10 houses, which disappeared around 1700, although the toponym still exists.
Malnoue (Malenoue, Mala Noa, Malle-Noux) is the third part of the municipality and also has an obscure origin. Its name might come from the brook of Noue (from Latin noda / noa, wet land). However, the brook was called on ancient maps Grace and not Noue. Another explanation refers to the bad (mal) quality of the land, which was too wet to be arable and only used as a poor pasture. The Gaulish term nauda indeed refers to a wet land.
The main monument of Émerainville is the St. Éloi church, rebuilt in 1896. The church houses a statue of St. Élo (558-660). Élo was goldsmith and treasurer of kings of Franks Clotaire II and Dagobert (le bon roi Dagobert / Qui a mis sa culotte a l'envers - Good king Dagobert / who put his pants on back to front). In 641, he succeded St. Médard as Bishop of Noyon and Tournai. St. Élo is the patron saint of goldsmiths and steelworkers. Accordingly, he is represented with a hammer. In France, there are only two statues representing the saint raising his hammer, and one of them is in the church of Émerainville.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 23 March 2004
The flag of Émerainville, as shown on the municipal website, is white with the municipal greater coat of arms, "Ermine a wavy baton azure per bend an escutcheon argent three roosters gules armed and langued of the same. The shield surmounted by a three-tower mural crown of gold and flanked by two laurel branches of the same".
Ivan Sache, Pascal Vagnat & Olivier Touzeau, 23 March 2004