Last modified: 2013-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: paris | union nationale pour la course au large | star (blue) | cross (white) | disc (white) | wind rose (yellow) | rowing-club | letters: rc (white) | cercle de la voile de paris | union des plaisanciers francais | star |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag and burgee of CVP - Images by Ivan Sache, 12 May 2001
Cercle de la Voile de Paris (CVP, website) was founded in 1868, as the merger of
Cercle des Voiliers de la Basse-Seine and Cercle des Yachts de Paris.
CVP was initially base in Argenteuil, a port on the Seine downstream from Paris that was a main center of recreational and sport boating at the time, and has been very often illustrated by the Impressionnist painters. In 1893, the yacht club moved further downstream to Les Mureaux, where it is still basec today. With a membership of more than 300 members, CVP has kept its social seat in Paris.
The highest achievement of CVP was the gold medal won by club member Jacques Lebrun in the Olympic Games of Los Angeles (1932).
The flag of CVP is red with a white lozenge touching the edges of the
flag and a blue star in the middle. It was designed at the end of the
19th century by the painter Morel-Fatio, Curator of the
Marine Museum in Paris.
The companion burgee of CVP can be seen, for instance, in the Grand Larousse du XXe Siècle (1928).
Ivan Sache, 12 May 2001
Burgee of UPF - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 December 2004
Union des Plaisanciers Français (UPF, website) was founded in Paris in 1962, for the national promotion of coastal and deep-sea sailing cruises. The motto of the club is Naviguez plus loin avec l'UPF (Sail further with UPF).
The burgee of UPF is blue with a white border and a white star.
Ivan Sache, 17 December 2004
Burgee of UNCL - Image by Ivan Sache, 25 January 2004
Union Nationale pour la Course au Larg (UNCL, website) was founded in 1971
by the merging of Union Nationale des Croiseurs (founded in 1913 by
René de Saint-Père) and Groupement pour la Course au Large (founded in 1960 by Alain Maupas). Current membership is about 1,000.
UNCL formed an association with the Royal Ocean Racing Club (United Kingdom) to establish international rules for open sea racing. The two clubs invented the CHS burden, replaced in 1999 by the IR2000 burden.
The burgee of UNCL is quartered blue-red-blue-red by a white cross. A white disc charged with an eight-ray yellow wind rose is placed over the cross.
Ivan Sache, 25 January 2004
Burgee of Rowing-Club - Image by Ivan Sache, 18 December 2004
The first rowing regattas that took place in Paris were won in 1834 by the famous "six" owned by Prince of Joinville. In 1853, the teams from the boats Eva and Velleda founded together Société des Régates Parisiennes, which organized the same year the first skiff Seine Championship. The very same year, the Duke of Albuféra founded the Paris Rowing-Club. The two clubs merged in 1865 into the Rowing-Club (website). The new club set up the first classifications of the race boats according to their length and width and the first race rules. Thr Viscount of Châteauvillard was the first captain-coach of the Rowing-Club. His yawl Duc de Framboisie remained undefeated in France for four years. The Rowing-Club also won most of the regattas organized during the International Exhibition of 1867. Two years later, the glorious "four" Miss Aurore won 139 races in a single year.
After the 1870 war, several clubs seceded from the Rowing-Club:
Cercle Nautique de France (1875), Société Nautique de la Marne (1876), Société d'Encouragement du Sport Nautique (1879), and Société Nautique de la Basse-Seine.
The Rowing-Club kept friendly links with Société Nautique de la Marne; the two clubs organized the Rowing-Marne contest. In the first European Championships (1904), the Rowing-Marne mixed eight won the title, which he defended victoriously the next year. In 1903, the Rowing-Club celebrated its 50th anniversary with the European title won in skiff by d'Heilly. The eight from the Rowing-Club won the Thames Challenge Cup in Henley in 1912.
Between the two World Wars, the rowers from the Rowing-Club won
several national and international competitions and took part to the
Olympic Games. The double-scull team Jacquet-Giriat, bronze medalist
in the European Championships in 1935, was finalist in Berlin (1936).
After the Liberation, the Rowing-Club maintained its level, winning the inter-club championship in 1946 and several other national titles. The pair-oar Havlick-Rivière won the bronze in the European Championships in 1947.
In spring 1953, the Rowing-Club celebrated its centenary with international regattas organized in Paris and placed under the patronage of the President of the Republic.
In 1968, the the Rowing-Club moved its headquarters to a new, modern base located in Saint-Ouen, north of Paris.
The burgee of the the Rowing-Club is vertically divided blue-red with the white letters "R" and "C" in the blue and the red stripe, respectively. These are the colours of Paris.
Ivan Sache, 18 December 2004