Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: bas-rhin | drusenheim | chevrons: 3 (red) | lion (yellow) | orb (blue | cross (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Drusenheim - Image by Pascal Vagnat, 2 March 2010
The municipality of Drusenheim (5,046 inhabitants in 2006; 1,573 ha) is located 15 km south-east of Haguenau, close to the river Rhine forming the border with Germany.
Drusenheim ("Drusus' Estate") is named after the Roman General
Claudius Drusus, Commander of Gaul and Lower and upper Germania.
Drusus built some 50 fortifications along river Rhine to protect Gaul
from the Barbarians. One of them was subsequently named Drusenburg or
Drusenburghof, and eventually replaced by the village of Drusenheim.
In the 8th century, Drusenheim depended on the neighbouring abbey of Arnolfsau. Moved in 825 to Schwarzach (Germany) after a peasants' revolt, the abbey still ruled the village in the next six centuries. Drusenheim was later transfered to different lords, including the Counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg (1570-1736).
The town, destroyed at 85% at the end of the Second World War, was awarded in 1948 the Cross of War with silver star.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 2 March 2010
The municipal flag of Drusenheim (photo) is white with the municipal arms in the middle.
The arms of Drusenheim are Parti, au premier coupé d'or à trois chevrons de gueules et d'azur au lion couronné d'or lampassé de gueules; au deuxième d'or au monde d'azur cerclé et croisetté d'or ("Per pale, 1. Per fess or three chevrons or azure a lion crowned or langued gules, 2. Or an orb azure banded and crossed or").
The dexter part of the shield shows the arms of Hanau (top) and Schwartzenberg (bottom); the orb recalls that Drusenheim was incorporated to the German Empire in 1420.
Stefan Schwoon & Pascal Vagnat, 2 March 2010