This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Noyelles-sous-Lens (Municipality, Pas-de-Calais, France)

Last modified: 2016-11-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: noyelles-sous-lens |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Noyelles-sous-Lens - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 2 April 2016

See also:

Presentation of Noyelles-sous-Lens

The municipality of Noyelles-sous-Lens (6,796 inhabitants in 2013; 372 ha; municipal website) is located 5 km east of Lens.

Noyelles-sous-Lens was first mentioned in 966. The town was subsequently known as Niaule (1070), Nigella juxta Lens (1170), Noella juxta Betricourt (1180), Noella (1189), Noyelle (1416), and Noyelles sous lens (1515).
In 1200, Michel d'Hulluch inherited the domain of Noyelles and took the name of de Noyelles, which would be kept by his lineage for the next five centuries. The fortified castle mentioned in written sources was soon abandoned; after its complete ruination, the stones and the plot were acquired by a local farmer.

Located on the frontline, Noyelles was totally destroyed during the First World War. It is locally said that the bricks of the former church were used to rebuild the houses in the downtown.
Coal was extracted in Noyelles for four decades. Inaugurated on 22 August 1928 by the Compagnie des mines de Courrières, pit 23 was closed on 16 June 1952. More than 4 million tons of coal were extracted during the exploitation period.

Ivan Sache, 2 April 2016

Flag of Noyelles-sous-Lens

The flag of Noyelles-sous-Lens (photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms. Beneath the arms is the writing "NOYELLES S/LENS" in black letters.

The arms of Noyelles-sous-Lens are "Quarterly, 1. and 4. Or four bends gules, 2. Gules a War Cross or, 3. Gules a harrow or." The shield is surmounted by a Count's coronet, inscribed with the name of the town in letters sable, and placed over a scroll argent fimbriated sable.
"Quarterly or and gules" were the arms of the lords of Noyelles, "a famous lineage allied with the first lineages of Flanders, Artois, Hainaut and the Low Countries. The lineage was a branch of the ancient lords of Lens,"
[Lainé. Nobiliaire d'Artois. Archives généalogiques et historiques de la noblesse de France, vol. 9, 1844]

The County of Noyelles was erected on 8 February 1614 by Archdukes Albert and Isabel for their majordomo, Hugh of Noyelles, who was subsequently appointed Captain and Governor General of Limburg, and State Councillor and Chief of Finances of the Low Countries.
[Suite du supplément au nobiliaire des Pays-Bas et du Comté de Bourgogne. 1779]

Noyelles-sous-Lens was granted the War Cross on 23 September 1920.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 2 April 2016