Last modified: 2013-12-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: bagad | bourbriac | cross (black) | ermine: 11 (black) | societe d'emulation des cotes-du-nord | griffin (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Bagad de Bourbriac - Image by Ivan Sache, 25 July 2003
Bourbriac is a small town (c. 3,000 inhabitants) located south of
According to Philippe Rault (Ar Banniel [arb] #3, Summer 1997), the Bagad du Pays de Bourbriac uses a flag made of a traditional Breton black cross on a white field, charged in the middle with a white rectangle bordered red with 11 black ermine spots (4 + 3 + 4). The charge might refer to the ancient arms of Penthièvre.
Ivan Sache, 25 July 2003
Flag of Société d'Emulation des Côtes-du-Nord, reverse and obverse - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 21 October 2002
The Société d'Emulation des
Côtes-du-Nord (today the Société d'Emulation des
Côtes-d'Armor) was founded on 31 January 1861, by
Jules-Henri Geslin de Bourgogne, Joachim Gaultier du Mottay and Jules
Lamare. Its aim was "to cause, support and coordinate in
Côtes-du-Nord, the efforts of all the men of goodwill,
cultivating sciences, the letters and arts". At the time, the
activities of the society included:
- monthly meetings opened to all the members and during which the most various subjects related to the department were exposed through conferences or communications;
- the annual publication of a volume of memories, containing in particuliar the main works of the society;
- an annual excursion;
- the provision to the members of a significant library.
The flag of the Société d'Emulation des
Côtes-du-Nord can be seen in the book Saint-Brieuc,
principal centre touristique des Côtes-Du-Nord en dix
excursions, printed by the Presses bretonnes de Saint-Brieuc for the Society in 1932. The author of the book is Viscount Henri Frotier de la Messelère, then secretary-general of the society.
Born in the manor of Premorel in Plesder (Ille-et-Vilaine) on 2 November 1876, Henri Frotier de la Messelière lived long years in Saint-Brieuc, where he died on 6 December 1965. He was a Doctor in Law, and he is the author of many genealogical works, including a famous Recueil de généalogie (1904, 1350 pages, 260 illustrations) and the Filiations bretonnes (1912-1926, 5 volumes, 3 783 pages), and sketches and charts, inventories and descriptions of monuments of the department. His printed works, handwritten notes and drawings, intended to retain the life "in spite of the attacks of time", are preciously preserved at the Archives of the Department. He thus drew, indexed and identified several castles, manors and vaults of Côtes-du-Nord, preceding with one half-century the national Inventaire des Monuments historiques (National Register of Historical Monuments).
Thomas Girard-Lamaury, 21 October 2002
The obverse of the flag shows "the main regions of the Côtes-du-Nord", which are, clockwise from upper hoist :
and what looks like the Latin motto of the Society.
The reverse of the flag shows the six Dioceses of the departement of the Côtes-du-Nord, which are, clockwise from upper hoist:
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 21 October 2002
There is today only one Diocese in Côtes d'Armor, called Diocese of Tréguier-St-Brieuc. The other dioceses are from the other departments of Brittany (Finistère, Ille-et-Vilaine and Morbihan).
Yves Le Martret, 30 June 2004